LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad idle

The quick version: I start the thing up and if i don't keep it from doing so, it dies immediately. After it's warmed up, it wants to idle around 12-1500 in traffic. One more thing, I'm running a 93 engine that was transplanted into my bird and i retained the MAF set-up from the '96 motor. I'm almost sure it is the throttle position sensor...unless it's called something else on '93's. Any input would be helpful either on the part name if i'm wrong, and on ease of installation.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Launching!

little help
Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think it's due to not having a crank sensor anymore. 93's are a different ball of wax. Unless you swapped over your timing cover and all that other stuff.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

have you hooked it up to a scanner yet? i think most of the sensors will throw a code if there is something wrong with them. if you dont want to buy one (obd-1 scanners are more than obd-2)see if an auto parts store will scan it for free. it also may just need a tune since you have sort of mixed and matched. cam profiles as well as other things changed from year to year. read this: http://www.hpsalvage.com/lt1.htm . is the wiring and computer in your car still from a 96? the part about the electrical connector in 95 caught my eye. did you change anything else on the motor?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

The tps sensor is the same. You should use the ICM the 96 engine. If you are still using OBDII then the knock sensor from the 96 engine needs to be used. Also what was said about the cam position sensor true.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXFORMULA
have you hooked it up to a scanner yet? i think most of the sensors will throw a code if there is something wrong with them. if you dont want to buy one (obd-1 scanners are more than obd-2)see if an auto parts store will scan it for free. it also may just need a tune since you have sort of mixed and matched. cam profiles as well as other things changed from year to year. read this: http://www.hpsalvage.com/lt1.htm . is the wiring and computer in your car still from a 96? the part about the electrical connector in 95 caught my eye. did you change anything else on the motor?
Scanning to me is always a good thing to have done rather then go out and spend $$$ on WHAT you might think it may be..know to many guys that just blow money on this they didn't need...get-r-scanned man