LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem

well i pulled my car outta the garage today and was going to my friends house well a mile away from my house i forgot to get the movie i was going to return so i went back and got it and left the car running well before i got back to it the
car just died..well i tried starting it again and it wouldnt do anything so i opened the hood and look around but nothing seemed outta the ordinary so i tried to start it again and it fired right up...then i started up my driveway again and it just died but it started right back up and i keep going alittle farther and it started acting alittle funny like it wanted to die but it didnt well after that i never had a problem..i got to my friends house and i just let it idle for a few minutes and it was fine..about 2 hours later i get in it to go eat and few miles down the road it died when i was going slow down a hill...then i was like F it so i just went on the interstate and went home well on the interstate i had to cruise on 70 and it was doing fine for awhile till i was going down a hill then started back up it the rpms all the sudden just dropped so i hit the gas and it revved back up well i made it home alright after that and i dunno what it is...im guessing maybe the fuel pump, im going to get the fuel pressure checked tomorrow does anyone else no what might be wrong..the check engine light isnt on...sorry for the long story just wanted to tell ya everytime it happened..
Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Sometimes the MAF on my car got a flakey connection and it would behave like that. I would just get out, open the hood, unclip then reclip the connector a few times (to scuff off any crud from the pins) and it would be fine for another 3 to 6 months.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Launching!

alright ill try that
Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Launching!

now it wont even start very long then it dies...i cleaned the throttle body and MAF..tightened all the battery terminals..i have no idea whats wrong
Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

fuel filter, and if not go to autozone and let it die there and have them scan it??? weird sounds like the maf tho? if so on craigslist theres a guy sellind a very good one for 50 bucks!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Launching!

lol im scared to even drive it anywhere,i dont think it will make it..it might be my IAC valve but i dont think i can check it by myself im not that mechanically inclined and i changed the fuel filter probably 5000 miles ago
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have a scanner of any sort?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Launching!

nope, i called my mechanic and he told me to unplug to maf sensor and it seemed to stay running after i did that and then the check engine light came on...im going to take it to him monday..do you think it will make it there if i keep the maf sensor unplugged
Old 06-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Launching!

well i unplugged the maf sensor again and drove for about 10 minutes and everything was fine besides the service engine soon light is on..does this mean i just need a new maf
Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Teching In

man I think that I am having the same type of problems. I have changed the crank sensor, coil, cap and rotor, and opti. I thought I might have gotten a bad opti so I took it out today and replaced it. I am putting new plug wires on tomorrow. Let me know if you figure anything out. I haven't check MAF yet
Old 06-21-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Kinda like aircraft, GM has some redundant systems built into the PCM so that if something like the MAF fails, you can still drive it in Open loop/speed density fueling mode. It could be the MAF, it could be the connector. Have you checked your sensor Fuse in the underhood fuse box? I had some long tube headers that fried my wires together and popped the fuse that feeds the voltage to the MAF and O2 sensors.

Originally Posted by jays97 t/a
well i unplugged the maf sensor again and drove for about 10 minutes and everything was fine besides the service engine soon light is on..does this mean i just need a new maf
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Launching!

checked all my fuses and none were bad..im takin it to the shop right now so hopefully my mechanic will be able to figure out what the problem is..lt1 chevelle im pretty sure its not my opti because it will run alright when i pull the maf sensor out and when my opti went bad the last time the check engine light came on and it was acting a little different, but ill let you kno whats wrong when i get it back
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Teching In

well i replaced the opti today along with the plug wires and put my car back together. I probably ran it for about 20 to 30 minutes without dying. The only thing now is that I have a bad miss. I don't think that I have any plug wires backwards, but who knows. if that is not it I am in big trouble. I don't know what else to do.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Launching!

well i called my mechanic today and it was my opti, i dont understand what went wrong ive only had it on for alittle over a year..and it was the ac delco one