LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning software?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning software?

What does everyone recommend for tuning software for a 96 lt1 car? Also where is a good place to purchase it? And what software do people use for full stand alone on the 96-97 lt1 vehicles? Also I have someone to tune for me I just need the software.

Last edited by 2002camaroSS; 06-30-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

your best bet would be Jet Spectrum Tuner (jetchip.com)

For datalogging, autotap enhanced, http://www.autotap.com/product_famil...&TrailType=Top
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
What does everyone recommend for tuning software for a 96 lt1 car? Also where is a good place to purchase it? And what software do people use for full stand alone on the 96-97 lt1 vehicles? Also I have someone to tune for me I just need the software.
OBDII? Cheaper to have someone do it for you as the OBDII software is much more expensive then ODBI. Get a mail order tune from PCMforless or MadZ28.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Tuner Cat, LT-1 Edit for tuning cars. Stand alone systems are Big Stuff3, EFI Live, etc...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
Tuner Cat, LT-1 Edit for tuning cars. Stand alone systems are Big Stuff3, EFI Live, etc...
Efi live? My tuner has that program and said that he cant tune lt1 cars.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Efi live? My tuner has that program and said that he cant tune lt1 cars.
He is correct, your only 2 options are Tunercat and LT1Edit. I use LT1Edit; it is adequate, and no more. Tunercat is more flexible, and has actual support, which LT1Edit does not have.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use LT1 Edit because when I started tuning back in I believe 97 that was the only tuning software available, The only thing I don't like about Tuner Cats is that is has a lot of parameters that are useless, such as individual cylinder tuning which cannot be done unless you are using a stand alone system like XFI or Big Stuff...
Old 07-01-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran Tuner Cat for a long time. It's very simple, and fairly cheap.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I use LT1 Edit because when I started tuning back in I believe 97 that was the only tuning software available, The only thing I don't like about Tuner Cats is that is has a lot of parameters that are useless, such as individual cylinder tuning which cannot be done unless you are using a stand alone system like XFI or Big Stuff...
Actually you can tune fueling for individual cylinders, I do it all the time. There are two tables, one for closed TPS and the other for open TPS. There is also a way to tune WOT fueling individual cylinders if you know what to tweak. That is not much use unless you have eight EGT probes or eight wide bands. Bank-to-bank fuel trims are adjusted with those tables. I always use those when I have one here for tuning. I can't think of a useless parameter in Tunercat. I have used them all from time to time, and have added several to my definition files. I'm maxxed out with the number constants and switches allowed. I have had to consolidate some constants that are located together into tables to make room for more constants.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Actually you can tune fueling for individual cylinders, I do it all the time. There are two tables, one for closed TPS and the other for open TPS. There is also a way to tune WOT fueling individual cylinders if you know what to tweak. That is not much use unless you have eight EGT probes or eight wide bands. Bank-to-bank fuel trims are adjusted with those tables. I always use those when I have one here for tuning. I can't think of a useless parameter in Tunercat. I have used them all from time to time, and have added several to my definition files. I'm maxxed out with the number constants and switches allowed. I have had to consolidate some constants that are located together into tables to make room for more constants.
You are correct on the EGT's for each individual cylinders, By Useless parameters
I mean there are quite a few areas that the average person will probably never use, I have tuner cats but am used to my old LT1 Edit, Thanks for clarifying..
Old 07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

You are correct on the EGT's for each individual cylinders, By Useless parameters
I mean there are quite a few areas that the average person will probably never use, I have tuner cats but am used to my old LT1 Edit, Thanks for clarifying..
Ok but if that's what you meant, how is it a bad thing for the program to give you the options? I mean more flexibility can only help I would think.

If the average person touches something they don't know how to use and ***** it up, that's their fault. Most "average people" don't tune their own car anyway. Just the fact that you are doing that means you are taking a certain amount of responsibility for knowing how to do it right.

Tunercat providing a very powerful tool for a rather cheap cost is a huge plus imo.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well thanks for the input so far, tunercat you just go on there website and download it to your laptop?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Ok but if that's what you meant, how is it a bad thing for the program to give you the options? I mean more flexibility can only help I would think.

If the average person touches something they don't know how to use and ***** it up, that's their fault. Most "average people" don't tune their own car anyway. Just the fact that you are doing that means you are taking a certain amount of responsibility for knowing how to do it right.

Tunercat providing a very powerful tool for a rather cheap cost is a huge plus imo.
You know this forum is for opinions and suggestions, some ask about a color of their car, if they should rebuild or purchase a new shortblock. A question was asked about tuning software for LT1's I gave my opinion, YOU would be surprised at how many "Tuning Shops" are practicing on the customers cars. Why do you think people get on this forum and said what they have done and now the car has problems, Do people other than yourself come out and say "It runs like that cause you fucked it up" No, they help out. Did I say Oh I get into parameters that I don't know what I am doing " Some people like Tuner Cats, Some EFI live, Some HP, But I guess everyone if "FUCKED" up for not using the same software..How many people on this board ask if they should "GET" a tune and most reply with, Get your own software and tune it yourself" answer. Does this sound like a person who knows what they are doing..You are one of those that scan the topic just to bash someone instead of helping out..Have Fun, Now go at it.....
Old 07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Well thanks for the input so far, tunercat you just go on there website and download it to your laptop?
For 96+ (obd2) Tunercat sold their software to Jet, so you need to get Jet Spectrum Tuner (it's the same program).

jetchip.com

It's a lot more for obd2, as mentioned. Only obd1 is available at the cheap price.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

You know this forum is for opinions and suggestions, some ask about a color of their car, if they should rebuild or purchase a new shortblock. A question was asked about tuning software for LT1's I gave my opinion, YOU would be surprised at how many "Tuning Shops" are practicing on the customers cars. Why do you think people get on this forum and said what they have done and now the car has problems, Do people other than yourself come out and say "It runs like that cause you fucked it up" No, they help out. Did I say Oh I get into parameters that I don't know what I am doing " Some people like Tuner Cats, Some EFI live, Some HP, But I guess everyone if "FUCKED" up for not using the same software..How many people on this board ask if they should "GET" a tune and most reply with, Get your own software and tune it yourself" answer. Does this sound like a person who knows what they are doing..You are one of those that scan the topic just to bash someone instead of helping out..Have Fun, Now go at it.....
Woah dude, calm down. I was not just replying to bash anyone, lol.

I just didn't understand your point, that was all.

You had a negative opinion toward the TC software because it provided a lot of "useless options" but then said it was really just that most people wouldn't use those options.

I was just making the point that I don't see why providing more functionality is a bad thing. Obviously there are tuners out there like Ed who are using those options. If someone doesn't need them, they don't have to use them. You're more familiar with LT1 edit, I get that, but I just didn't see how it was a bad thing for TC to provide you with more capability.

My post was nothing personal toward you or anyone else. You totally have the wrong idea here.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Woah dude, calm down. I was not just replying to bash anyone, lol.

I just didn't understand your point, that was all.

You had a negative opinion toward the TC software because it provided a lot of "useless options" but then said it was really just that most people wouldn't use those options.

I was just making the point that I don't see why providing more functionality is a bad thing. Obviously there are tuners out there like Ed who are using those options. If someone doesn't need them, they don't have to use them. You're more familiar with LT1 edit, I get that, but I just didn't see how it was a bad thing for TC to provide you with more capability.

My post was nothing personal toward you or anyone else. You totally have the wrong idea here.
Sorry, My Bad, I should of defined my statement a little more clearly like Ed responded to, I believe Ed knows who I am, I tune for Tony Shepard. But this is the kicker, I have been to shops that tune cars, but they want me to tune Their personal cars ?? Makes you or at least me say Hmmmm..
Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry, My Bad, I should of defined my statement a little more clearly like Ed responded to, I believe Ed knows who I am, I tune for Tony Shepard. But this is the kicker, I have been to shops that tune cars, but they want me to tune Their personal cars ?? Makes you or at least me say Hmmmm..
This is why I tune my cars (and why I'm a big fan of people learning to do it themselves). You know exactly where you stand then, instead of just having a shop tell you it was done right.

With mechanical stuff, it's usually pretty easy to figure out if it was done right. Not so much with tuning, unless you are familiar with it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why i want to start to learn how to tune my own car

Quick Reply: Tuning software?