LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need lots of help! opti install issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need lots of help! opti install issues

so i just put in a new opti. 8.8mm taylor wires, and underdrive pulleys.
but now i have porblems, there is a tick on the drivers side and it kinda sounds like an eletrical arc'ing but all my plug wires are on tight. also its stumbling all over it self from about 900-4000k rpm's. also the alt seems like its not keeping up (the story on that is that i damaged some of the groves on the crank pulley and so rather than replace the very expensive balancer i just put underdrive pulleys on) so my z has been down about two weeks and i really need help getting it going.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

For starters, throw away the Taylor wires and install a set of MSD's (wires being one of the few things MSD seems to make right). I have seen too many Taylor wires cause endless problems right out of the box.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

And an underdrive pulley is gonna hurt the alternator's charging ability quite a bit.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9-z28-4
so i just put in a new opti. 8.8mm taylor wires, and underdrive pulleys.
but now i have porblems, there is a tick on the drivers side and it kinda sounds like an eletrical arc'ing but all my plug wires are on tight. also its stumbling all over it self from about 900-4000k rpm's. also the alt seems like its not keeping up (the story on that is that i damaged some of the groves on the crank pulley and so rather than replace the very expensive balancer i just put underdrive pulleys on) so my z has been down about two weeks and i really need help getting it going.
Ditch the pulley, as if it is a stock LT-1 the stock pulley is also the dampner as the LT-1 is externally balanced in the front and rear. Get a used one somewhere, either here or at a junk yard as they are easy to come by, but that underdrive pulley will give you more problems down the road - TRUST ME - been there done that and won't do it again.