LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car is...doing indescribable things... Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is...doing indescribable things... Opti?

Ok, so i have had this problem for about the last 2 months, and it was never as bad as it is now. Ok, its very hard to describe what is happening, but ill do my best. when drivign the car, if i go about 3/8ths throttle, the whole car starts to shake, ive been assuming it was the opti lately becase the guy who tuned my car "meanlt1" said that it could be going, i went to the track and when i ran it, it ran horrible times, especially with the mods in the sig, the worst thing was when i would get up into high rpms and it would shift, mind you its an a4, it would mis,you can kinda hear it in my video, i will upload it in a few minutes. but im just trying to figure out what it is, i went to my shop today and they said everythign was tightened down, nothing was loose, so i told them how it felt to drive, and they said either opti, or the tranny is going bad, but i thought... why would it be my tranny if it was only at around 3/8ths throttle, if it was the tranny it would do it all the time right?? well any input is appreciated, i just need to figure this problem out. lol.
$Glen$
Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

ttt... need some help please.... got even worse drivign it tonight... i know my granatellli maf was causing problems with my tune... any chance it could be that??
Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

So at approx 3/8ths throttle the car starts to shake? That would be around 2200 RPM or so I'd guess. A problem like this could be a few things, are you sure none of your spark plugs are burnt? When the car is shaking is the RPM still solid or does it also do something erratic?

If all of your plugs/wires are good, I'd turn my attention to the Opti. Maybe check fuel pressure just incase. If the tranny is going bad, it'll stop shifting pretty soon I'm willing to bet, but somehow I don't think thats your problem here.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

yea, i was really suprised when he said it could be the tranny...

but ill check the wires and plugs tomorro.

yea, its actually like exactly what you said. around 2200 rpm, a lil less... but the rpm stays solid, and i can tell it has somethin to do with spark/fuel cuz. it almost sounds like its stalling out. i thought it was initally the trans mount because i had to tighten the bolt after i went to the trac kthe first time, so they replced the whole trans mount cuz mine was shot. made the shifts stiffer, but still does the vibration, so it must be the spark/fuel.... well if anyoe else has ideas please give me your feedback. like i said, ill check my wires and such tomorro.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

I'm fairly certain in your plugs/wires/opti you will find the problem, although I'd have fuel pressure checked before buying the opti, just incase, it wouldn't be too fun to buy an opti and find out that wasn't the issue.

Hope it goes well for you man.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

well. got in there and check the plugs and wires, and sure enough, the third wire from the fron on the drivers side was touching my headers, beautiful site. haha. lets hope new wires will fix the whole rumbling thing. lol.and i dont have to spend my dads birthday money on a new opti. heres a pic of the damage, burned about half way through the wire.

thanks again for the help masochist, i woulda never thought it to be somethin this simple to cause the rumble. ill keep ya updated on what happens after i put some new wires in.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Well. i changed the spark plug wires and it still does it. i have noticed that it only does the rumble in overdrive, as i said, when i step on the pedal about half way. only in overdrive does it do it. if i shift down into 1 then shift up from there, its doesnt rumble. but in overdrive it does.... im hoping this isnt the tranny... any ideas??

Quick Reply: Car is...doing indescribable things... Opti?