LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

BAD Vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD Vibration!

I had this problem before the motor blew so Im assuming its from at least the tranny back. Just got the car driveable again and the vibration is still there. kinda forgot about its been so long since I drove her. Anyway, it seems to be speed sensitive as anything above 55mph the car is vibrating so bad you hear it. your butt starts to go numb its that bad. if you slow back down to 50 it will be smooth as silk. I snapped the stock torque arm and replaced it with an UMI adj TA chassis mount and replaced the rear u-joint. ever since then the vibration has been there. one thing i noticed about the joint is that it has a zerk fitting for grease where the original didnt. My two guesses would be pinion angle or maybe driveshaft imbalance The rear tires are new and I balanced the wheels so I know they are straight. Please help as it Bs the D driving slower than 50
Old 07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe i need to change thread title to what cam to run. set pinion angle to -3 i think. measured on the oil pan, it was +3 and so i set the rear to -6 which equals -3 correct? any help or ideas would be awesome.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like the driveshaft. Maybe related, does this happen only when the torque converter clutch is locked up?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like the stock steel DS prob.. but im-a guess you dont have a stocker sooo. my m6 started vibrating with 100% load and went away with no gas.. problem solved when new PP clutch and flywheel was replaced. Gl oh and a DS can balance out zero and still cause vibration Lol ask me how i know
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my sierra does that between 45-55 it feel's like it's tripping or something
Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a stick so no lock up and the shaft isnt stock but it is steel. 3" steel shaft from scott@driveline solutions w/1350 joints. ive noticed it does it on both accel and deceleration. does seem a bit worse under acceleration though. anyway to isolate the problem if it is the ds? a guy i work with said it feels like a lot of play in the rear end. could that cause the vibration?

Quick Reply: BAD Vibration!