LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Problem, Please help.. Stalls out/loses power

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Problem, Please help.. Stalls out/loses power

I rebuilt my motor, The motor runs fine and idles good, but after driving it for 5 minutes and stopping , it wants to stall out everytime, it also loses power, at first it idles at 900ish and then after awile it drops to 5 and stalls. I was thinking it could be an electrical problem, but all my stuff is brand new. Also my computer is tuned for all my stuff so idk wat the problem is. Any advice will help!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you check for any stored codes?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

not yet, im having a local mechanic bring a scan tool over this weekend, its weird cuz it only does it after the motor warms up and runs for 5-10 minutes.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

im having the same problem and cant find the source either. I know this doesnt help, but if iget mine worked out i will let you know.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

my car would do the same thing i figured out it was my opti, my harrnees was getting corroded making the connection bad try and check the opti harrness for corrotion hope this helps ex i went 12.2 on motor carr was having this issue went to track and went 12.9
Old 07-18-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

but did your car run fine for awile then all of a sudden do it? because everytime i start my car it runs fine at first then does it, whats the best thing to use to clean the harnesses?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

is there anyway i can get the computer to always run in open loop by disconnecting sumthing, just to c if thats the problem? Maf, o2s, tps, someone plz answer me that lol.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Launching!

I've had the same problem with my car for a long time. Mine's only when it gets hot though. I would take my car to Indy (60 miles) and it wouldn't miss a beat, get in hot traffic for more than 3 mins and it dies, missing on random cylinders, then won't restart til it cools down, then its fine again. I have replaced so far the: Opti (ACDelco), fuel pump (Walbro), IAT, CTS, MAP, Water pump, Thermostat, and a full tune up with the NAPA Belken wires and TR6s. I believe its the Ignition module (I work at Advance and thats the only module we can't test practically) or the coil breaking down when it gets hot. Other than that I'm thinking tis vapor lock, but I have heat wrapped all of my fuel lines where its even somewhat close to the exhaust, done all of this in the past 5k miles. The girl I bought it off of said it did it to her and I thought the Opti solved it (it was wintertime and it only does it when its hot outside).

A long time ago, I worked on a early 90s cavalier with the same problem (I used to work at a few shops). After looking and looking and looking, I finally Ohmed the injectors, found out one was shorting out when it was hot, causeing the whole bank to stop firing (3.1L batch fire). New injectors and it was on its way. SO....my best guess is coil ($20), ignition module ($80) or injectors. Hope this helps, if anybody finds a cure, please let me know.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

yea they really weird thing is , after it stalls out on me when it gets to closed loop, it dosent even barley turn over, sounds like my battery is dead, but then if i wait for awile and let it cool down , starts up like a champ. all my injectors were fine , but i guess i should test them when there hot.

Quick Reply: Lt1 Problem, Please help.. Stalls out/loses power