LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

RTV for Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default RTV for Intake?

I'm finishing up my head gaskets again today and I need to put the intake on. I know i need Black rtv at the front and back of the block and spread it up onto the gaskets a little bit, but my haynes repair manual says that i need to put some on the intake gaskets around the water jackets or something like that? Anybody done this?

Also, do i need to change my oil? I just did like 200 miles ago so the oil is still golden brown. I was thinking i might be able to get away with just vacuming out the lifter valley really well but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lt1 doesn't have coolant passages through the intake so you just need it on the ends. I would still recommend changing the oil just to be safe. It doesn't take a whole lot of dirt to destroy the bottom end.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instead of black rtv might wanna try to use "the right stuff" from permatex. works great and doesnt take as long to set up. like said no coolant passages through the intake but maybe they meant around the intake ports? either way i just put it on the front and rear and half way up the head.

Quick Reply: RTV for Intake?