LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCMforless of NC...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCMforless of NC...

I'd like to offer a strong word of caution about using Alvin for anything other than a cookie-cutter style tune.

If you need something other than a basic tune, I'd suggest finding another outfit to deal with because Alvin either doesn't have the ability or motivation to do so. He told me before I even bought the parts that he could do a decent tune. He assured me that he had tuned many combinations just like the one I was going to be using. Well, after well over a year, he didn't even get the tune close...NOWHERE CLOSE. There were countless emails/voice msgs. that went unanswered, sometimes waiting over a month only to find out that he "forgot", along with a long list of other issues. When he did actually reply, it was generally one or two words at best. Many times he told me that there was a mechanical issue, but it turns out that it was all in the tune. There was an issue with a valve, but that was fixed and he continued for over a year to tell me there was certainly a mechanical issue. Well, after taking the car to another tuner, it turns out the mechanical issue was actually Alvin himself. His tune plain sucked. The car went <10 miles in the last 1yr.+ and it was all because I relied on Alvin to do his job. To make the situation even more aggravating, he suggests that I am the one that would go for long periods w/o getting in touch with him...just his usual BS routine. I spent HUNDREDS of dollars just on overnight shipping of parts, but he says that I am the one that would go for long periods of time w/o contact.
Finally, he offered me a refund...only to tell me that he can't find where/how I paid him. I guess he's claiming that he did all of this work for FREE.

I'm sure that Alvin and his partner/wife will chime in here with some bull****. This has been my experience with Alvin at PCMforless of NC and there is nothing they can say that will change the truth. For 7-8yrs. I suggested that people use Alvin....that has now changed.

***To clarify, these comments in no way are directed at Bryan Herter. Bryan has never done any work for me but has been very helpful in other ways over the years. I've met Bryan several times and he's a great guy to deal with...Alvin on the other hand is a waste of time and money.***
Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr.Whitey
I'd like to offer a strong word of caution about using Alvin for anything other than a cookie-cutter style tune.

If you need something other than a basic tune, I'd suggest finding another outfit to deal with because Alvin either doesn't have the ability or motivation to do so. He told me before I even bought the parts that he could do a decent tune. He assured me that he had tuned many combinations just like the one I was going to be using. Well, after well over a year, he didn't even get the tune close...NOWHERE CLOSE. There were countless emails/voice msgs. that went unanswered, sometimes waiting over a month only to find out that he "forgot", along with a long list of other issues. When he did actually reply, it was generally one or two words at best. Many times he told me that there was a mechanical issue, but it turns out that it was all in the tune. There was an issue with a valve, but that was fixed and he continued for over a year to tell me there was certainly a mechanical issue. Well, after taking the car to another tuner, it turns out the mechanical issue was actually Alvin himself. His tune plain sucked. The car went <10 miles in the last 1yr.+ and it was all because I relied on Alvin to do his job. To make the situation even more aggravating, he suggests that I am the one that would go for long periods w/o getting in touch with him...just his usual BS routine. I spent HUNDREDS of dollars just on overnight shipping of parts, but he says that I am the one that would go for long periods of time w/o contact.
Finally, he offered me a refund...only to tell me that he can't find where/how I paid him. I guess he's claiming that he did all of this work for FREE.

I'm sure that Alvin and his partner/wife will chime in here with some bull****. This has been my experience with Alvin at PCMforless of NC and there is nothing they can say that will change the truth. For 7-8yrs. I suggested that people use Alvin....that has now changed.

***To clarify, these comments in no way are directed at Bryan Herter. Bryan has never done any work for me but has been very helpful in other ways over the years. I've met Bryan several times and he's a great guy to deal with...Alvin on the other hand is a waste of time and money.***
That sucks, always heard good things about them?? Who did you use to fix the tune?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So were you sending it to them for the tune or in person?? Were his exact words "He could do a decent tune?" If I heard "decent" I wouldn't have delt with him then. If you did indeed just sent it in for a quick $150 tune then anythings possible and results may vary..
Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by will01
That sucks, always heard good things about them?? Who did you use to fix the tune?
I used Brady's High Performance. His shop is about 1-1/2hrs. from here, located near Lancaster, PA. The car still has some issues which we will be working on next weekend. I've been driving the car since he tuned it, as opposed to it collecting dust in the garage for the last 1yr.+ with the 6+/- attepts from Alvin....and this is only Brady's second time tuning a 93 car.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
So were you sending it to them for the tune or in person?? Were his exact words "He could do a decent tune?" If I heard "decent" I wouldn't have delt with him then. If you did indeed just sent it in for a quick $150 tune then anythings possible and results may vary..
It was a mail order tune through Alvin and Brady's had the actual car. Granted, big difference there, but it's the overall experience with Alvin and Kelly that has my panties in a bunch. There were dozens of datalog sent to Alvin and he continued to insist that is was a mechanical issue, NOT the tune. Trusting him, I began an expensive process of replacing new parts with new parts....just guessing, there was over $2k and countless hours spent chasing these "mechanical" issues. He maintained this position until the very end, finally suggesting that maybe I have someone else look at the car...so I did.
Sorry, his exact words were...
"We ought to be able to do a pretty nice mail order chip for you."
Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Yeah, I feel your frustrations about the communication and money spent..but when you do the mail order thing, anythings possible. I had a mail order tune as well. I have all fresh parts on my car, plugs, wires, cat, 02, fuel filter etc etc and I can't pass the smog. It's Running really lean. Everyone thinks it might be because of the tune. I will find out soon because I still have my orig pcm brain that I will be putting back on today and running it through DEQ on Monday to see if it passes. Not saying it's due to my mail tune but after my cam and head swap here soon I'm getting it tuned with the ride there to avoid any B.S.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

not to change the subject, but why did you go from ramair to the very restrictive cai and elbow? i have seen first hand on a dyno that the cai and elbow rob hp. 20hp infact on my friends 383 z28.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats sucks man, never had any problems with PCM4less (But, I was only in contact with Bryan Herter also for my tuning, so I have no experience with anyone else).

+1 for Bryan is a great guy and knows his stuff.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alvins a good guy and he knows his stuff. Dont bash on him. Mail order tunes arent in the same ball park as a street/dyno tune, but they can get the job done.

And besides.. TRY POSTING THIS IN THE RIGHT AREA!

I'm going to be looking to get a mail order tune for my Formula soon, and Alvin is the only guy I would trust in doing so. He might have made a mistake in your tune, but dont be a dick about it and bash him.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used Brady's High Performance. His shop is about 1-1/2hrs. from here, located near Lancaster, PA. The car still has some issues which we will be working on next weekend. I've been driving the car since he tuned it, as opposed to it collecting dust in the garage for the last 1yr.+ with the 6+/- attepts from Alvin....and this is only Brady's second time tuning a 93 car.
So after you take it to another shop to get retuned.. Its still having problems?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Alvins a good guy and he knows his stuff. Dont bash on him. Mail order tunes arent in the same ball park as a street/dyno tune, but they can get the job done.

And besides.. TRY POSTING THIS IN THE RIGHT AREA!

I'm going to be looking to get a mail order tune for my Formula soon, and Alvin is the only guy I would trust in doing so. He might have made a mistake in your tune, but dont be a dick about it and bash him.

So after you take it to another shop to get retuned.. Its still having problems?
You seem like the perfect candidate for one of his basic cookie cutter tunes. Thanks for your thoughts on Alvin, but I will "bash" anybody I'd like...so sorry if that offends you or your buddy Alvin. Besides, with a stock car, how much interaction have you had with Alvin...or much else for that matter? So, thanks for your .02, but you can and start your own thread about how much you like the work that he's never done for you yet.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by grn95t/a
not to change the subject, but why did you go from ramair to the very restrictive cai and elbow? i have seen first hand on a dyno that the cai and elbow rob hp. 20hp infact on my friends 383 z28.

ok so how about you search on this topic. there was a thread like last week and is one about every month. the ram air you get from the wind is something like .18 PSI more and .18psi = something like under 5 horse. if you actually did some research and used the search function, you'd know that a CAI is better. there is a thead if you search showing cars dyno'd with the CAI and for every 10 degree's the intake air drops its like some decent percent more HP. colder air is a more dense charge and better for your engine.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You seem like the perfect candidate for one of his basic cookie cutter tunes. Thanks for your thoughts on Alvin, but I will "bash" anybody I'd like...so sorry if that offends you or your buddy Alvin. Besides, with a stock car, how much interaction have you had with Alvin...or much else for that matter? So, thanks for your .02, but you can and start your own thread about how much you like the work that he's never done for you yet.
OK.. How the hell do you know that? How do you know how many cars i've owned? Have I personally had one of his tunes yet.. NO. But that doesnt mean I dont know people that have. I know many people that have his tunes and they only have good things to say about him. NEVER once heard any complaints. I'm doing a cam swap over the winter, and that will require one.

You sound like a ***** and someone who isnt easy to deal with.

And you still went around my question.. Why the hell is your car still having problems after a retune? Is it because its not the tune.. But rather the owner?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

A set of "heads" says you can't bash anyone you want on here without getting the AXE
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

OK.. How the hell do you know that? How do you know how many cars i've owned? Have I personally had one of his tunes yet.. NO. But that doesnt mean I dont know people that have. I know many people that have his tunes and they only have good things to say about him. NEVER once heard any complaints. I'm doing a cam swap over the winter, and that will require one.

You sound like a ***** and someone who isnt easy to deal with.

And you still went around my question.. Why the hell is your car still having problems after a retune? Is it because its not the tune.. But rather the owner?

I've been giving Alvin money since you were like 10yrs. old. I've had the same thoughts as you concerning Alvin, but that is no longer the case. Why is it that you can't respect my opinions, good or bad?

So you've never heard anything bad about Alvin? Well, now you have.

I sound like a *****? OK tough guy.

Yes, it's likely the owner...and you were the smartest kid on the short bus, weren't ya?

Last edited by Mr.Whitey; 08-02-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been giving Alvin money since you were like 10yrs. old. I've had the same thoughts as you concerning Alvin, but that is no longer the case. Why is it that you can't respect my opinions, good or bad?

So you've never heard anything bad about Alvin? Well, now you have.

I sound like a *****? OK tough guy.

Yes, it's likely the owner...and you were the smartest kid on the short bus, weren't ya?
Wow.. I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with you and you're shitty personality. I'm not going to fight with you anymore. You do not know me, so stop acting like you do. You are the one here acting childish. You keep avoiding the one key question I've asked.. 2 times now. Why is your car still having problems with another tuner?

Grow up.

Last edited by Camaro_94; 08-02-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread is obviously going no place constructive. Each person has had their say.

Quick Reply: PCMforless of NC...