LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help help...spark plug change...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help help...spark plug change...

im doing the build on my 94 camaro and i changed the spark plugs before the build but fouled them out during diognostics...ended up being the wrong plugs with my 97 motor i have...now i have completely changed the driver side no problem but the pass side is giving me fits all the way...havent gopt one changed at all...any suggestions for me to make my build a little easier...like recomended wierd *** tools just for the lt1/ls1 cars in the tight fits??maybe if i took my starter off would that help?would i be able to get to every one of them if i took the starter off?? anything im dying here....doin this side tomorrow so if anyone can help me please do soo......
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Not knowing which headers you have, I can't give specific advice... but here's some general advice:

On some of the plugs it is helpful to put the spark plug socket on them and turn it with an open end wrench (if you can't get a rachet/extension on it). Also, a little 1" extension is helpful in some cases when you can't get the ratchet directly on the socket, but also can't fit a normal 3-4" extension.

On my LTX car, even with Jet Hot longtubes, the #8 is still a bitch. I can do it without dropping the starter, but you might want to on yours. Make sure you disconnect the battery before messing with the starter.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

just the stock exhaust manifolds but i dont need headers really...got the SS SLP ported ones soo... also i am using a spark plug socket, the prob is i can get my damn arms up in there to do anything....its soo tight everywhere...yea i dont have many posts but im no dumby....ill be sure to disconnect the battery....dont need shocked man....hahahahha...thanks for the advice, jsut lookin for a little more detail on what to do is all....i just dont want to drop anything you know....
Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok i got them.....son of a bi*** though...lol...i dropped th starter and slid my arm up therefor the rear 3 and the front one i had to cram my hand down the side...i got it though....having some other other issues now though....opti, crank sensor or pcm is bad or something...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done mine a couple of times on my '96 Z-28. I've never pulled the starter, but have dropped the "Y" pipe. It makes all the difference in the world...