LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker arm problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm problems

My rocker arms keeping going lose on me. I have the apr poly locks. And im using the half turn past drag method. For some reason they keep getting lose. Any one have any tips.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rocker arm problems

I have poly locks on mine so its really the same thing. Anyways, what i do is i turn the nut until i get the valvelash where i want it. I then tighten down the inner lock onto the rocker arm stud with the allen wrench to where i cant tighten it anymore by hand. I then put a wrench on the nut and try to turn it a little more after the inner lock has been tightened just to garuntee its on tight. I have NEVER had one come loose since ive started doing it this way. Ive broken studs in half during races and when i checked the rocker arm, the other end of the stud was still in the trunion inside of the polylock setup. hope this helps
Old 09-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Ditto. I had a couple problems but I fixed it by running the motor and tightening each until it stopped clicking. Then just yank on the inner lock HARD.

A day later after 3 passes shifting at 6K, everything is still fine, no clacking.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys ill try your methods. One last question did your car run like **** when they started comming loss. My car runs shitty now and even sounds different...
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car should run, sound, and drive different. When the rocker comes loose the valve timing is off. A friend of mine made the comment that it sounded like he re-cammed the car after he adjusted the rockers.

Ryan
Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, when i snapped my first rocker arm stud, my car sounded like a top fulie dragster the lope was so hard, and the car didnt want to idle that well without a little bit of gas. If the problem persist after you reset teh valves, you might want to see how your adjusting them, that could be the problem. After you adjust them the first time, dont go back and adjust them immediately if you turn the car on and its still tapping cause it takes a minute or so sometimes for the lifters to pump up.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Make sure also that your lifters are not bleeding down. If they are then it will cause slack between the pushrod and the rocker.

If the poly lock is indeed coming loose then the suggestion above is the right way to go.

Scott
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

my cars sounds like its got the stock cam back in it right now.This saturday im going to reset them all. I can hear a few of them and they are loud as hell. I have smoke starting to come out of my breathers now. I am hoping that it is from the valves not opening all the way and casuing the exhaust gases to be pushed passed the rings.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

that doesnt sound good at all. If you can hear the tapping coming from certain cylidners, turn the motor on and let it idle till its warm...then loosen the inner lock, and tighten the nut down till you dont hear it tapping anymore. Once it quit tapping, do another quarter to three-quarters turn then tighten the inner lock down tight. Put a wrench on the nut and try to tighten that down just a hair more and that will put pressure on the inner lock as well keeping it down for sure. You can go through all of the tapping valves and do that and it should take care of your tapping. Another way to set the valves(when the motor is off) is to turn the motor over by hand and when the intake valve starts to close, you set the exhaust valve, when the exhaust valve starts to open you set the intake valve. Set the valve in this instance by loosening the nut and inner lock. Now spin the pushrod and tighten down the nut until you feel friction with the pushrod. The instance you feel friction, tighten down the inner lock for zero lash or you could turn the nut an extra 1/4 to 3/4 turn to be safe and then tighten down the inner lock, and then give the nut a lil extra tightening(a hair) just to make sure the inner lock is snug.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the part i have not realy tried yet is doing this with my motor running. Sounds like it may work but one question....how much oil is going to get sprayed everywhere while doing this..
Old 09-11-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

with the car at idle, you will have VERY LITTLE. I got barely any oil on my hands and every now and then a few drops spit over from where it was slung off the end of the rocker where it meets the pushrod, and on to my headers and smoked a little, but as long as its at idle, hardly any mess at all. after you've adjusted them all, you will want to rev it a little to make sure there is no clacking(this will spit a lil oil on your headers though ). Good Luck and have fun, hehe.

PS, a good way to find out which ones are tapping is to put a long screwdriver or broom handle on the rocker arm while its running and you can hear/feel the ones that are tapping badly. But its best just to adjust them all to be safe.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah sounds like lots of fun. Im going to have to take my intercooler out to do this. Which means it will be running NA durring this rockerarm adjustment. That will not be the smoothest operation....lol....thanks for the help...
Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok well i tried to do it with the motor running but i could not hear a dam thing. Its to loud TO hear when one is loss or not. The dam blower was just screaming and so on. But i went through and did it like normal and gave them about a half turn extra. And used the one trick that you guys mentions about turning it a little more after the jam nut is set. Well to make a long story short. They sound the same. And maybe even louder. She sounds a little better now though when im driving her. Now i just have to fix the 500 other things that are still messed up in my car. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

dang man, sorry to hear that, its hard as heck to adjust them when the car is so loud you cant even hear the valves, lol. Its possible you might have a collapsed lifter or something but I would hate to think that. Good luck with it, I would help ya but your in NY...egads!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks bro... Im just going to have to baby her around f0r the rest of the summer till i get all the bugs worked out of her and get a differnt computer system in her....
Old 09-15-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn gangly, you really are like an LT1 encyclopedia!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(oh yeah I ripped off your sig a little bit too... hope ya don't mind too much)
Old 09-16-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Could care less man, its just a web board hehe....nice car by the way, would like to have one of those whiney belts myself one day. Next motor is a 396 with a MONSTER hydr. cam built for spray. Current setup is getting old, maybe the 4.10's sitting in the garage will help out a lil'?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can not even hear my blower on my car. My exhaust covers it up damm good. THE vortech super quiet kit that i bought is true to the name.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Dang, hehe, that would be the ultimate sleeper till you popped the hood, then all hell would break loose :-D

Quick Reply: Rocker arm problems