LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New lt1

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go with a Hypertech LT1 specific 160* t-stat for $25 and you do not need a tune. If you have a misfire start with the OBD codes and go from there, plugs and wires may fix it, but it could be the ICM, or even a failing optical sensor. I had my low coolant light come on when I first got my car, most likely it was the sensor, but I had the entire radiator replaced b/c of an overheating problem. Along with the t-stat it would be a good idea to get a manual fan switch, despite what your mechanic who doesn't know much about LT1's says, there is quite a bit of difference in a cool running LT1 and a hot running one. Heat soak does damage to electrical components, especially old ones.
I replaced my tranny mount with a poly mount and it's just fine. You may have to grind a bit of the plastic down to get the right pinion angle, but it isn't much and it's well worth it. You can pick them up from just about any parts store for cheap.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just put a new egr valve/box in and knock on wood the service engine soon is gone. The misfire is from bad wire (you can hear them audibly arcing on a metal surface) so im going to get the msd wires and ac delco plugs today. As for the thermostat, im still undecided on what to do. Most likely go for a 180 down from the stock 198 (a bit cooler) and just forget about the 160 and the fan switch untill I have some bigger mods. Next on the list will be to get the u-joints replaced and the shaft balanced.

Quick Reply: New lt1