28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

clutch options

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch options

ok well i need help decideing between two clutches. I am either going to go with the Ram powergrip HD, or the spec stage 3. If you vote or even if you don't explain why you chose what you chose. This car is my daily and currently has the powergrip HD in it. This particular car makes over 420rwhp and weighs 3825 lbs. I like the powergrip but just checking out what the spec is about.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

You have to be kidding me, no opinions?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, well... I don't have an opinion of either of those guys without being a bit biased.

I will ask that you check out my newly released clutch line at www.monsterclutches.com and see if maybe something there may interest you. If you need some references due to us being new here I'd be more than happy to send you some, or, you can poke around www.ls1gto.com and you're bound to see us pop up all over there.

Let me know if I can help you!

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000

P.S. If you don't buy my clutch, I'd go with the Ram (this is my personal choice over the two).
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about: How do all three of the above hold up compared to a Centerforce dual friction?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
How about: How do all three of the above hold up compared to a Centerforce dual friction?
The Centerforce DF clutch is a decent clutch, however, the pedal pressure is ridiculous compared to mine, the materials they use have a lower coefficient of friction than mine, and if any of those weights get "stuck" on the outer part of the diaphragm spring it will cause vibration issues.

My Level 2 unit uses a dual friction disc, however, mine uses a better/stronger sprung hub and I don't have to compensate for my clamp load with weights. Our Level two has a 5-7% stiffer pedal than stock with a stock engagement.

Plus, Centerforce only offers a 90 day warranty on their products, mine is 12 months.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The Centerforce DF clutch is a decent clutch, however, the pedal pressure is ridiculous compared to mine, the materials they use have a lower coefficient of friction than mine, and if any of those weights get "stuck" on the outer part of the diaphragm spring it will cause vibration issues.

My Level 2 unit uses a dual friction disc, however, mine uses a better/stronger sprung hub and I don't have to compensate for my clamp load with weights. Our Level two has a 5-7% stiffer pedal than stock with a stock engagement.

Plus, Centerforce only offers a 90 day warranty on their products, mine is 12 months.
That's what I needed to know on the difference. I had a Centerforce unit on my car when I bought it.

The stiffness of a Centerforce unit did not bother me in the least. The fact that it will no longer hold up in 4th/5th/6th at 30% throttle does concern me a little.

How would you recommend getting the best durability out of your clutches? Can they withstand slipping, or do they prefer something like a dump that will **** my rearend like a brick?

I'm actually a lot more interested than I thought I would be...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

get the textrallia oz700. it has a great feel to it like it were stock so it wont be hella stiff like some. and i have a heavy foot so i wanted something i can beat and rely on it not braking. and as far as hourse power my buddy has a procgarged ss that puts down 587rwhp and it does not slip one bit. thats what convinced me to buyin it and i dont regret it at all.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
FormerVendor

That's what I needed to know on the difference. I had a Centerforce unit on my car when I bought it.

The stiffness of a Centerforce unit did not bother me in the least. The fact that it will no longer hold up in 4th/5th/6th at 30% throttle does concern me a little.

How would you recommend getting the best durability out of your clutches? Can they withstand slipping, or do they prefer something like a dump that will **** my rearend like a brick?

I'm actually a lot more interested than I thought I would be...
My Level 3 can be slipped or dumped and the pedal stiffness is only about 5-8% stiffer than stock.

So in short; my Level 3 will hold 700hp/tq (tested in both a controlled environment and on a 690rwhp GTO on spray), has a damn near stock pedal feel, is warrantied for 12 months, and is $200 cheaper than a OZ700.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Level 3 can be slipped or dumped and the pedal stiffness is only about 5-8% stiffer than stock.

So in short; my Level 3 will hold 700hp/tq (tested in both a controlled environment and on a 690rwhp GTO on spray), has a damn near stock pedal feel, is warrantied for 12 months, and is $200 cheaper than a OZ700.
Will you warranty my rear end, too?

The other question is, do you have a lighter weight flywheel available? My car is pretty weak, bolt ons@ 347/350 whp/tq.

I kinda want a lighter flywheel to reduce the time it takes to rev on downshifts. That being said, for the price I'm looking at the basic level 3 just for kicks.

What would expect to last longer in a bolt on/cam only app? 2/3?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Will you warranty my rear end, too?

The other question is, do you have a lighter weight flywheel available? My car is pretty weak, bolt ons@ 347/350 whp/tq.

I kinda want a lighter flywheel to reduce the time it takes to rev on downshifts. That being said, for the price I'm looking at the basic level 3 just for kicks.

What would expect to last longer in a bolt on/cam only app? 2/3?

LOL, uh, no.

We have matched these clutch assemblies to use the heavier stock weight flywheels... I can get you a Billet Aluminum flywheel, but it's not cheap.

As far as longetivity, the Level 2 would last longer than a Level 3 with the average daily driver... however, if you drag race the car regularly I would go with the Level 3.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Teching In

at this juncture I HATE ram. I saw u currently have a powergrip hd in there now. I had my t56 rebuilt by six speeds inc at the begining of the year and am just finding out about there problems recently. hope mine is what they said it would be. at that time i had a cf df and the weights stuck. replaced it with the powergrip hd. had it for a very short time when the stock tq arm ripped off the bolt mounts. ooops. replaced it. went to the track and on the clutches 3rd pass ever it exploded. only 2800 miles on it. street tires. 401 rwhp. i sent it to ram trying to get a replacement or a rebuild. i called them after a few weeks of not hearing from them. they said they didnt have it. so i battled with fed ex for 4 months trying to get them to pay me for the lost clutch since i bought insurance!!!!! Ram said the signiture was not from anybody who worked there. so when fed ex said they sent me a check i was thrilled but before it got here they cancelled it and told me that RAM INFACT HAD IT THE WHOLE TIME . Not only did they NOT replace the faulty clutch they did absolutely nothing to make up for the fact that my car has been sitting for 5 months now!!! i've had to drive my gas guzzling truck which luckily i have or my shoes would be getting thin by now. they didn't even act sorry for what they did. they said they would give me a discount on a new clutch. i wasnt interested so i asked him to ship me my old junk back. didn't hear from him for a couple weeks and no mail so i contacted him again and he said he would need my credit card # to ship it back to me. i lost it. i paid to ship it to them they dicked with me and then expect me to pay to ship it again. thats just my situation. not gonna happen to everybody but i couldnt go without saying something about it. my blood is still boiling
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Arkansas Dave
at this juncture I HATE ram. I saw u currently have a powergrip hd in there now. I had my t56 rebuilt by six speeds inc at the begining of the year and am just finding out about there problems recently. hope mine is what they said it would be. at that time i had a cf df and the weights stuck. replaced it with the powergrip hd. had it for a very short time when the stock tq arm ripped off the bolt mounts. ooops. replaced it. went to the track and on the clutches 3rd pass ever it exploded. only 2800 miles on it. street tires. 401 rwhp. i sent it to ram trying to get a replacement or a rebuild. i called them after a few weeks of not hearing from them. they said they didnt have it. so i battled with fed ex for 4 months trying to get them to pay me for the lost clutch since i bought insurance!!!!! Ram said the signiture was not from anybody who worked there. so when fed ex said they sent me a check i was thrilled but before it got here they cancelled it and told me that RAM INFACT HAD IT THE WHOLE TIME . Not only did they NOT replace the faulty clutch they did absolutely nothing to make up for the fact that my car has been sitting for 5 months now!!! i've had to drive my gas guzzling truck which luckily i have or my shoes would be getting thin by now. they didn't even act sorry for what they did. they said they would give me a discount on a new clutch. i wasnt interested so i asked him to ship me my old junk back. didn't hear from him for a couple weeks and no mail so i contacted him again and he said he would need my credit card # to ship it back to me. i lost it. i paid to ship it to them they dicked with me and then expect me to pay to ship it again. thats just my situation. not gonna happen to everybody but i couldnt go without saying something about it. my blood is still boiling
Holy chit!

Well, if you would like to purchase a clutch from someone who will stand behind their product (if you're still in the market that is...) and are here to take care of the consumer give us a call!

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

yeah i saw that on the other thread left a msg in there. 2 days late
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Arkansas Dave
yeah i saw that on the other thread left a msg in there. 2 days late
Ah yes, I remember reading that... sorry man, next time you or any of your friends are in the market, give me a shout!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice clutchs snl might have to look into those
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
nice clutchs snl might have to look into those
Thanks man!

We've got a few GTO's up there in Oklahoma that have our products in them, I'd be more than happy to add a F-Body to the crowd!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as longetivity, the Level 2 would last longer than a Level 3 with the average daily driver... however, if you drag race the car regularly I would go with the Level 3.

I understand that completely. You've about got me sold on your product. I just want a LTW flywheel. My car sees the road race a bit more than the track race, and has < 1 yr old hydraulics from GM.

That being said, here's the pass that fried my clutch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Q1pWYgaeo

You can hear it slip a bit in third.

I currently only run street tires. It sees the track about once a month, with about 5 passes.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

I understand that completely. You've about got me sold on your product. I just want a LTW flywheel. My car sees the road race a bit more than the track race, and has < 1 yr old hydraulics from GM.

That being said, here's the pass that fried my clutch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Q1pWYgaeo

You can hear it slip a bit in third.

I currently only run street tires. It sees the track about once a month, with about 5 passes.
Wow... I've only seen one v6 fbody in the 7's... those things sound damn wierd with a big cam in 'em. LOL!

Well, we can do a lightweight flywheel option. I'll shoot you a pm and let you know.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man!

We've got a few GTO's up there in Oklahoma that have our products in them, I'd be more than happy to add a F-Body to the crowd!
you will in the spring lol
Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... I've only seen one v6 fbody in the 7's... those things sound damn wierd with a big cam in 'em. LOL!

Well, we can do a lightweight flywheel option. I'll shoot you a pm and let you know.
It'll be running 7.50s on Sunday. Amazing what turning a screw can do...

And it's cutting a 1.91 60'

Quick Reply: clutch options