Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 Vs LS2 Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Vs LS2 Flywheel

OK did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I am in the process of buying a new Clutch for my 06 GTO (LS2). One of the vendors I am working with has a good deal on a package for LS1 cars including the flywheel. The LS2 cars are $150 cheaper has a note that says must use aftermarket LS1 Flywheel. I know the diameters are different, but if I bought the LS1 kit that includes a flywheel, any reason this would not bolt up to the LS2?

I have seen several kits that separate LS1 and LS2 based on flywheels and still come with a flywheel. I am just looking for what the difference is in these kits, and why they don't just have one kit that would work for both. Hope you guys can shed some light on this for me.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the GTO's used the same type of flywheel as the LS1. Theres no reason a clutch/flywheel for an LS1 wouldn't work on an LS2. And an LS1 clutch should bolt up to the factory GTO flywheel ( I think ).

The LS2 vettes used a flywheel like the LS7, which is stepped at the mounting points for the pressure plate. Therefore, you couldn't run an LS1 style clutch with it unless you changed to an LS1 style flywheel.

Either way, if you have a flywheel/clutch combo it should physically work on any LSx based engine with possibly one exception which I won't go into since it doesn't apply to you. People install LS7 clutch/flywheels on LS1's all the time.

Quick Reply: LS1 Vs LS2 Flywheel