Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch going out or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch going out or something else?

I ran my car at the track yesterday and the clutch I'm running is a mcleod single disk. If I try to slip the clutch on the launch it wont grab until I let off the gas, then I can finish the pass like nothing happened. If I hot lap the car the clutch wont grab on the launch until I let off the gas, but I can still finish the pass like normal with no slipping at all in upper gears. If I try to power shift it does the same slipping thing, but as soon as i let off and let it grab its fine.

I thought when clutches went out they start slipping in upper gears, not on the launch, and it still lets me finish the pass fine. Im only running nittos so I'm not launching that hard and I only cut a ~1.9 60 ft.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles on the clutch
Old 11-23-2008, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayerized6
how many miles on the clutch
~25-30k
Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

when launching...does it chatter or does it just spin?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayerized6
when launching...does it chatter or does it just spin?
It just spins with no chatter.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

its most likley burned out. i wouldnt drive the car hard anymore until you can get a new clutch in. my .02
Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

The part I don't understand is I can still go WOT in any gear including 6th and it shows no signs of slippage, and if I don't hot lap the car the clutch holds fine.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

try launching at a lower rpm next time at the track. your giving it way to much tq at once to handle the power
Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
The part I don't understand is I can still go WOT in any gear including 6th and it shows no signs of slippage, and if I don't hot lap the car the clutch holds fine.
I had the exact same thing happen with mine, but i soon found out the clutch was original, it would slip bad in 1st. gear launching too hard, but "seemed" to be holding fine in the higher gears, now that i've installed a new clutch, i can't beleive the difference, especially in the higher gears where it seemed to feel fine before, i still feel even though the clutch may/should slip worse in the higher gears, in reality, 1st. gear will be the worsed, the engine may be under more load in higher gears, but the car is in motion, but from a dead stop is where your going to know if your clutch is weak IMO, thats where the clutch/drivetrain are under the heaviest load if you think about it, the whole drivetrain takes it hard to propel the weight, how many rearends/driveshaft pop in high gear, they pop right off the line most of the time, what do you think your clutch feels, it feels the same force, so your clutch needs replacing if you want it to hold, but you could still put-put around & it may last a long time, it just won't handle the load "from a dead stop" anymore, & i'll bet it is slipping some in the other gears, you have just gotten used to it over time & didn't think it was slipping untill you incountered this problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch going out or something else?