Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Major Clutch Problem LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Clutch Problem LT1

i have a 96 m6 z28 (mods in sig)

Last night I was driving away from my house and I was coming up to a stop sign so i disengaged the clutch. As soon as it was halfway out I heard a loud thud come from infront of the tranny area and my clutch slammed to the floor then my car shut off immideatly. it took a little bit for the clutch pedal to come back up, but wen it did, it was very very stiff. i tried to start the car up again but it wouldnt even crank. The tranny was able to shift into neutral and i was able to push it out of the road.

What im thinking is that something broke off the clutch and whatever broke is jamming the flywheel so it cant turn over and at the same time the clutch is always engaged.

when i turn the key it clicks and the engine will move but not much.

people are telling me that it could be the pressure plate and others are telling me its the throwout bearing (dont know what that is).

I could use all the help i could get right now. thx.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a PP issue, thats why you can't push the peddle in, just need to start tearing it down & see what went wrong.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is it possible that the whole clutch is shot?

and would a broken pp make it unable to start?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Yes your going to have to put a new clutch in at a minimum. Most likely the friction disc separated and is causing the issues you are talking about.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
wrencher

I've seen this B4 on LT1's The fork usually comes out of position & locks it up. Plan on pulling the trans to find out what let loose.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok. alright, noob question: if i need a new clutch anyway...will an ls7 clutch mate with an LT1 or is that specificaly for LS engines?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
ok. alright, noob question: if i need a new clutch anyway...will an ls7 clutch mate with an LT1 or is that specificaly for LS engines?
I think you'll have to stick with LT1 discs, just take it down & see what went wrong, then let us know what you find, I say PP issue. & to answer your ealier ??, NO, the engine will not turn over much with the clutch in-gauged, so it'll act like its doing.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

LS Clutches won't work with LT Cars..
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

atleast yours didn't let loose at 6000 RPM like mine

so it probably wont be this bad
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My bet - The Slave Cylinder or the Clutch

If your slave cylinder hasn't exploded interally (I bet it did - mine did - same circumstances...), then your clutch exploded (Did that too!).

Replace ALL the hydraulics - bench bleed eveything seperately, then again on assembly of the two cylinders; you might as well do the line mod too while you're at it.

Call Fred Beans and order an 96 Vette LT4 clutch NOT a Kevlar SPEC 3+ unit (Yeah, burned thru two of those - one in less than 3 months - cr&p IMHO) and call it done!

i have a 96 m6 z28 (mods in sig)

Last night I was driving away from my house and I was coming up to a stop sign so i disengaged the clutch. As soon as it was halfway out I heard a loud thud come from infront of the tranny area and my clutch slammed to the floor then my car shut off immideatly. it took a little bit for the clutch pedal to come back up, but wen it did, it was very very stiff. i tried to start the car up again but it wouldnt even crank. The tranny was able to shift into neutral and i was able to push it out of the road.

What im thinking is that something broke off the clutch and whatever broke is jamming the flywheel so it cant turn over and at the same time the clutch is always engaged.

when i turn the key it clicks and the engine will move but not much.

people are telling me that it could be the pressure plate and others are telling me its the throwout bearing (dont know what that is).

I could use all the help i could get right now. thx.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm...intersting, 96 vette clutch....ima check that out...

i wish i could pull the tranny out myself and learn but no time...got school, work, fam, gf... not enough hours in the day. ima have to take it to a shop...

can anybody recomend some good aftermarked slave?

1994Z28LT1- good times, huh... lol.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i found this replacement clutch at the kragen website for the 1996 lt4 corvette... u guys think it'll mate w/ my lt1?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...pe=244&PTSet=A
Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$70 buck for a freakin tow to town...ridiculous IMO. I couldn't find straps or chains hanging around anywhere...

hope fully they'll find the problem soon.

in the meantime, what clutch would be the most cost effective in terms of reliability, drivability and longetivty for an LT1 that is a DD and is raced 3 times a month at the most?

the only reason i ask is because all the threads i seen so far are for LS cars.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:30 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

ok i found this replacement clutch at the kragen website for the 1996 lt4 corvette... u guys think it'll mate w/ my lt1?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...pe=244&PTSet=A
The only difference that I see is that the LT4 clutch disc does not have springs. In my opinion, I would rather pay $220 for one with the springs. You would save $250 and it will be more streetable. :shrug:

http://www.autozone.com/R,2174272/ve...ductDetail.htm
Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GM LT4 - NOT aftermarket!

I don't know about an aftermarket LT4 clutch but MY GM factory unit does indeed have springs - BTW, almost ALL the SPEC 3+ springs on my second unit (which failed in less than 3 months!) were broken. My brother - a spring manufacturer, said it was either an issue with the wire used, or somebody lied to SPEC and sold them springs made with junk steel.

Regardless, my GM LT4 unit does have springs, it is smooth as stock, but compared back to back with an LT1, they do infact look different.

Originally Posted by TDP
The only difference that I see is that the LT4 clutch disc does not have springs. In my opinion, I would rather pay $220 for one with the springs. You would save $250 and it will be more streetable. :shrug:

http://www.autozone.com/R,2174272/ve...ductDetail.htm
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
I don't know about an aftermarket LT4 clutch but MY GM factory unit does indeed have springs - BTW, almost ALL the SPEC 3+ springs on my second unit (which failed in less than 3 months!) were broken. My brother - a spring manufacturer, said it was either an issue with the wire used, or somebody lied to SPEC and sold them springs made with junk steel.

Regardless, my GM LT4 unit does have springs, it is smooth as stock, but compared back to back with an LT1, they do infact look different.
The disks without the springs are going to be more brutal on the 10 bolt when the clutch gets dumped. Thats the purpose of the springs, to reduce the shock that hits the 10 bolt. Just keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: Major Clutch Problem LT1