Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Input shaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input shaft questions

Hello everyone,

It seems that my car is getting to that stage where "eventually something fails no matter how well you take care of it". It seems my input shaft has seen better days (shifter is clacking, hard to engage gears when it is cold, weird noises when 1st gear is almost engaged when it is cold), so I have two questions...

1. Where can I get a new input shaft?

2. How easy is it to install (or does anyone have a good writeup w/pics)?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt your problems are coming from a faulty input shaft. If you're having difficulty getting the transmission into gear, your problem could be hydraulic. It could also be a problem with the clutch/pressure plate itself. Otherwise it could just be time for a rebuild.

Basically, the only reason we ever need to change the input shaft is when the pilot bearing fails causing the shaft to be grooved or worn on the tip or the transmission was simply run low on fluid. Of all the t56's we've built, I've seen one gm input shaft broken at the shaft.

We offer parts for sale including an input shaft if it turns out that you need one.

-Jonathan
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I was in NC, because I'd be over at your shop as soon as I had the chance. The problem is that these issues are sporadic... I can never duplicate the problem at will (except for the shifter clacking, that occurs all the time)