Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reuse PP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Reuse PP?

I have 35k on my spec 2 and it is just starting to slip. Since I'm rebuilding the motor might as well put a new clutch in. Since I am building a new motor I'm trying to keep everything on a decent budget. I was looking at getting a spec 2+ disk and a new flywheel from autozone and arp flywheel bolts but my question is can I reuse my spec 2 pressure plate that i've had for 35k miles
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
can I reuse my spec 2 pressure plate that i've had for 35k miles

General rule is that the flywheel can be machined & re-used one time. So, you can have it re-surfaced & used. I am not sure about the minimum thickness requirement, but recall that anything over 0.815" after re-surfacing is OK. Hopefully, someone will confirm this.

Have the flywheel & new pressure plate balanced as an assembly after the flywheel has been re-surfaced.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can, but shouldn't use the old pressure plate. After 35,000 miles, the springs or "fingers" have lost their original tensile strength and cannot push the clutch plate against the flyweel as forcefully as when new. Also, you want a nice smooth pressure plate for the same reasons you resurface your flywheel. It's like replacing your brake pads without machining the rotors. You can do it, but it's not a good practice.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure plate

Yes you can reuse a pressure plate, but you will probably not get the performance that youexpect out of it. The fingers do eventually get weak and your release will change. I do not think that this will be the case at 35k, but it probably will be the case by the time the second disc wears out.
Also I agree in part with LS1-450 to save money if your flywheel has not ever been resurfaced, you might consider getting the thickness checked on that and maybe use the money you would save on a new flywheel to buy a new pressure plate.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
General rule is that the flywheel can be machined & re-used one time. So, you can have it re-surfaced & used. I am not sure about the minimum thickness requirement, but recall that anything over 0.815" after re-surfacing is OK. Hopefully, someone will confirm this.

Have the flywheel & new pressure plate balanced as an assembly after the flywheel has been re-surfaced.

Duh??? I got caught up in commenting about the flywheel & balancing, then completely for got to answer the PP question. Appologies; & fortuneately for me, these guys got you covered on the PP. Good-luck

Quick Reply: Reuse PP?