Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cold Tranny Issues

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Tranny Issues

Had my tranny rebuilt about 6 months ago. Now that the cold weather is rolling around it seems like things are binding up. Whenever I drive the car cold the gearbox is really stiff. Particularly in 2nd gear. When engaging 2nd the shifter jolts back for a second and then engages. It will also sometimes grind going into 3rd and very seldom into 4th. Once the car warms up, about 15 mins, it shifts like a dream no problems or stiffness at all. I installed an MGW shifter about 2 and a half months ago. What should I do? Ive not yet changed the fluid since rebuilding it. How much fluid does the T56 take. I was look at using the GM or Penzoil Syncromesh.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, mine does the same thing and it's like 0 degrees out right now and mine doesn't even want to go into 1st without some serious double shifting with some pausing, going into 2nd feels like in + mini bang. Once warmed up its fine.

Take it easy until it's warmed up. You aren't doing any real damage unless you try to shift too quick while cold too often.

If it does it while warm, then I'd worry. You could try going to syncromesh, but its usually thicker and in cold weather I find Mobil 1 to do fairly well until extreme temps.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Internet Mechanic

Let it warm up, the fluid is not the same when up to operating temp.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Its going to be that way until it warms up . Thinner fluid like ATF is a little better in the winter but even it can get that way in super cold weather .
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

How bout if you let it idle for about 5 minutes before you took off, would that help?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by the_merv
How bout if you let it idle for about 5 minutes before you took off, would that help?
I would say no because the internals are not spinning or moving, until the car is underway I see no way unless there is residual heat from the block to the bell housing or exhaust heating up the trans case, and there in to, the trans fluid.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I would say no because the internals are not spinning or moving, until the car is underway I see no way unless there is residual heat from the block to the bell housing or exhaust heating up the trans case, and there in to, the trans fluid.
If the engine is running and the clutch is out , the internals are moving . The only thing NOT moving is the output shaft thus the reason the car is sitting still . This is why its important to fill up your units with oil before starting the car even if it does not move anywheres . I cannot tell you how many burned up rebuilt units I have had from people NOT filling them up prior to starting the car . They usually happen with people building project cars and get the itch to hear the engine fire up long before its able to move .
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Apparently you don't know your Standard very well there screamin machine..

Try and put it in Gear while Idling WITHOUT the Clutch..

Then give me an answer to my statement..

Edit.. me and thesource posted at the same time..lol
Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thesource
If the engine is running and the clutch is out , the internals are moving . The only thing NOT moving is the output shaft thus the reason the car is sitting still . This is why its important to fill up your units with oil before starting the car even if it does not move anywheres . I cannot tell you how many burned up rebuilt units I have had from people NOT filling them up prior to starting the car . They usually happen with people building project cars and get the itch to hear the engine fire up long before its able to move .
I must have been mistaken. I beleived it was different.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

It's cool. You must have never accidentially tried to put it in Gear as you forgot the Clutch. I did that to a Car that was a Standard, I hadn't driven a Standard in like 2 years, and had to move a friends Car, yea I looked like a dumbass..lol
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by the_merv
It's cool. You must have never accidentially tried to put it in Gear as you forgot the Clutch.

Not quite like that.

My understanding was a little different, I have let my car warm up and never up which would be sitting for 10-20 minutes and never felt the same until I put about 5 miles on it shifting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Tranny Issues