Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flywheel Balancing

I'm putting a 2000 LS1 motor into my 2002 Firebird. I'm going to use the flywheel off of my 2002 motor. I had it resurfaced and I will install a RAM HDX Clutch. The machine shop that resurfaced the flywheel said it is already factory balanced. I've heard discussions about balancing the flywheel. Should I take the flywheel elsewhere for balancing?
Thanks!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flywheel Balance

If it did not vibrate on the other engine, should be o-k. However, as we know the factory balance is not perfect.

If you plan on modding it any or going to the rev limiter, I'd have it Zero balanced for safety's sake.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now that you mention it... that made me think a little more about my situation. I changed my gearing to 4.10's at around 50Kmiles. Since my rev's were higher in 6th gear, I would sometimes "feel" some sort of harmonic in the engine. Well, my engine's #2cylinder broke a rod upon start-up at 78Kmiles. It happened out of nowhere! I just went out and tried to start the car.... and clank, clank, clank... Went out to lift up the hood and saw oil dripping down my driveway. Blew a hole(s) through the oil pan and block! Could an unbalanced flywheel have caused that? I found coolant in the #2 cylinder before I took the head off, so I figured that the head gasket had a sudden major failure and allowed water to fill the cylinder and cause the rod to break as it couldn't compress water. But could the rod failure have been caused by an unbalanced flywheel? Or just typical crappy GM products?