Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch ?

I just got my new engine in my 96 ta and I put in a new clutch , when I got it in I had no pedal at all after playing with it and pumping it about 2-3 inches at the time I am about 3/4 from where it was to start with, is there anything else I can do to get it better?

Last edited by andrew ws6; 04-10-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...I am sure you will get a lot of responses suggesting that you use the search function...but, I am happy to assist you with more info that that! The first thing to do would be bleed the hydraulics. Assuming that this hasn't been done it could easily solve your issues. You should also check the fluid in the reservior. Is it dark or cloudy? If so this means that the fluid has been over-heated (boiled) and thus aerated. I suggest flushing and refilling with new hydraulic fluid. You will also need to wrap the hydraulic lines with a good heat wrap to insulate them, in hopes that boiling the fluid won't happen again.

Have you noticed any fluid leaks under the car? If so then this could evidence a popped slave-cylinder. The fact that pumping the pedal helps really points at a hydraulic issue so check these things and let us know what you find so we can assist you further.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

How do you bleed it , isn't it a sealed unit?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Is this an LT1 car or did you do an LS1 swap? Did you replace any of the hydraulics?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

I assume that this is an LS1 car using LS1 hydraulics...am I correct? If so, then there is a bleeder on the slave cylinder. It is, quite frankly a B***H to see from under the car but...it is there I promise. You have several methods of bleeding it.

One requires pumping the pedal (which builds pressure) and cracking the bleeder (which forces fluid and air out of the system). Or, you can use a mighty-vac (attached to the bleeder)to draw the air out of the system by way of suction. You can also use a mighty-vac and a special reservoir cap to draw air out from the top...though this isn't as commonly done it too can help bleed the system.

If you use the "Search" function you can find information/instructionals relating to the proper way to accomplish any of these bleeding methods. I suggest the search as it is easier to have pics to reference than to go by a verbal explanation. I hope this helps. Thanks,
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

lt1 car