Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question about T56 noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about T56 noises

YES I searched, all I find is people with whining noises, this isn;t a whine at all.

Well heres a run-down. Last weekend I put in a monster level 3 with all new hydraulics and everything, I did not replace the pilot bushing since it had less than 5k miles on it and looked like new. So after that, I discovered I had bad motor mounts. I ordered spohn solids, and put them in today.

Right away I noticed after like 5 miles of driving when I come to a stop in neutral with the clutch engaged there is a noise from the tranny, a grinding sound at quick intervals, and then I listened more and it happens at low speeds when moving too (maybe all the time but I can't hear it). I tried to get a vid of it but you can't hear it over my car. It goes away completely when I push in the clutch. Is this a normal noise for a car with solid motor mounts that I just couldn't hear before? I'm sure nothing has changed with the transmission, and I've put about 600 miles on the new clutch already.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like gear chatter. With soild mounts and if the car has a fairly large camshaft in it, with a more rigid clutch disc setup, it will produce gear chatter at idle in neutral or at low rpms in low speeds.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I was thinking about it and I realized its the same sound my buddies car make with the pro 5.0 shifter, but louder. I think you are right.