Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 stuck in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 stuck in neutral

Hey guys, I am scratching my head here. Got a t56 freshly rebuilt bu one of the sponsors here, wont name them yet. zero miles, still doing wireing on the car it dont run yet, but I put the shifter in and to my surprise the trans wont shift out of neutral, its stuck. No matter how hard I pull or push it wont budge. Anyone else have this issue, and can I take the tail housing off to look inside or am i going to have to take the whole thing out again?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the shifter off and check that the rail moves. Its quite possible you installed the shifter with the stem out of the offset lever socket.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like he has it in it..unless the Shifter is wedged in something.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, does the shifter move from side to side? If the shifter checks out to be installed correctly, all I can say is dissengage the clutch and then try to engage any and all of the gears. There really isn't anything I can think of that would totally block the rail from moving both foward and back.

What exactly are you installing this tranny in? Did the trans install smoothly to the bellhousing? What type of engine and pilot bearing? Does the output shaft turn as if the trans really is in neutral with the clutch engaged?

Just wondering about the pilot bearing stuff because if you had the incorrect pilot bearing installed like a vette LS2 style and then forced the tranny in that could bind up the input shaft and may cause your issue...
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thansk guys for the response.

In response to you John, I have an ls1 pilot in there, the bell housing went on no problem, the shifter rail will turn left and right very little but definitely no forward or backward motion. this tranny is behind a 6.0L, and yes i can turn the driveshaft with my hand like its in neutral.

Calhoon, yes the shifter is good, its brand new. Im at a loss for ideas here.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

Have you pull fluid into the unit yet? I have had units that were fresh with no fluid in them act funny until they were lubed up. I usually am pretty generous with the assembly lube on all the parts just in case the unit ends up sitting for several months on someone garage floor. The parts washers we have remove all the oil residue from the parts and they will actually develop a small amount of rust if not lubed up or greased pretty quickly.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

no I didnt put fluid in it yet, I dont realy want to in case i have to send this thing back to Tick. I would assume they used some type of assembly lube, I have been around this type of stuff my whole life I would strongly doubt that it was put together dry. the worst thing is that in order to take out the trany I have to pull the motor too, because of the type of chassis it is in. I dont feel like doing it again on my back in the garage.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

Tick built it, let them advise you on what they want you to do.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't put them together "dry" but we don't ship them with fluid in them either. All the moving parts and bearings have assembly lube on them. The blockers are soaked in ATF. I don't cover the gears in assembly lube however. As thesource said, just put the fluid in it and see what happens. I've seen the same thing but never one that just flat out wouldn't go into any gear. It wouldn't hurt to start the engine to let things turn and get all lubed up, but you would have to wait until the car actually runs to try this.

The trans has been sitting for about 4 months so its a good possibility that is all there is to it. Put the fluid in it and see what happens. If you'd like to talk on the phone, I am back in the shop now.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Hug it and love on it a little, talk sweet and cuddle with it.

That works for me when I want to get something loosened up..
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

thank you to all of you,

John at tick,,

I will try it, yes it has been sitting for a while, I didnt want to put fluid in it just in case i had to send it back. I have never had a stick lock up in neutral either, and dont get me wrong I am not trying to sound mean when I said put together dry.

and Merv, If i could love the tranny in my mood rite now it would be ilegal.

Ill keep you posted.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well in light of everything my move accross country went well, but I still have not heard from Tick via the two messages I had left them. Tick, Please respond to me via pm, as I do not want to have this disscussion on a public forum.

Quick Reply: t56 stuck in neutral