Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding clutch fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding clutch fluid?

I have tried sucking the air out from the reservoir, but it didn't to much to cure the spongy clutch pedal on my car.

Is there a how-to guide on gravity bleeding the clutch fluid? From what I understand there is a screw underneath the car (not sure where?), and you unscrew it a bit to let the fluid flow out and continuously fill the reservoir not letting it get low.

Is this correct? Will this get all the air out? Where is the screw and how do I get to it?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gravity bleeding is probably not going to get all the air out. Actually i am almost certain that is not going to work. You will likely have to have a buddy help you bleed the clutch the traditional way.

The bleeder screw is in a really crappy place. It is on the driver side of the transmission towards the top. You cannot see it from under the car without a mirror. It is right next to the braided line that i BELIEVE goes to the slave (i might be wrong here). Again use a mirror and you should see it. I believe it's an 11mm.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always Gravity Bled the clutch. Works everytime.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for me i had air in my master and gravity and the tradition two person way didn't work. i stuck the mityvac down the reservoir hole and i got my pedal back right away. i gravity flush the system though.

Quick Reply: Bleeding clutch fluid?