Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

faceplated t56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much hp and tq can a faceplate trans hold?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you could ever get good enough to autocross with a faceplated trans. Downshifting is a real bitch. You have to pull into neutral, rev to match the lower gear, THEN push in the clutch and downshift. I had a cobra f'n with me on the highway so I pulled along side and downshifted this way and it sounded nasty when I downshifted. I think the cobra guy decided he didnt want any probably cause my trans sounded like it was a bomb waiting to go off. I think the F1 cars use a non-synchro'd trans but the computer synchs everything up so downshifting works. Anyway, I daily drove my SS with a faceplated trans and was flawless on the upshifts most of the time but never got as good on the downshifts.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blu byu EH
How much hp and tq can a faceplate trans hold?
No more then a regular trans. Torque load ratings only increase on a trans from larger input and output shafts and such. Faceplating only allows a faster shift and the elimination of missed shifts from the blocker assem interfering with engaging the next gear. You pull and it goes. I read posts where guys start having problems in the 9's with broken gears and such. Something that'll kill them on slower cars though is wheel hop.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
No more then a regular trans. Torque load ratings only increase on a trans from larger input and output shafts and such. Faceplating only allows a faster shift and the elimination of missed shifts from the blocker assem interfering with engaging the next gear. You pull and it goes. I read posts where guys start having problems in the 9's with broken gears and such. Something that'll kill them on slower cars though is wheel hop.
damn didnt want to hear that lol
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
I doubt you could ever get good enough to autocross with a faceplated trans. Downshifting is a real bitch. You have to pull into neutral, rev to match the lower gear, THEN push in the clutch and downshift. I had a cobra f'n with me on the highway so I pulled along side and downshifted this way and it sounded nasty when I downshifted. I think the cobra guy decided he didnt want any probably cause my trans sounded like it was a bomb waiting to go off. I think the F1 cars use a non-synchro'd trans but the computer synchs everything up so downshifting works. Anyway, I daily drove my SS with a faceplated trans and was flawless on the upshifts most of the time but never got as good on the downshifts.
You don't have to hold the car in neutral, watch my vid. I can dowshift w/o holding neutral by rolling my ankle and blipping the throttle and pulling the next gear.

Never the less, I would never road race of autocross this transmission.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a link to the vid? Ty.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by LS123
First, the faceplating is only done 1-4 gears. The 5-6 would be synchronized. Some people have driven their faceplated trans on the street and said it was drivable but all I can say is "different strokes for different folks". One might consider drivable, yet another would say no way. I personally would NOT do it on a street driven vehicle.
They are very street able. We put one in my dads Nova that makes around 650hp. They shift so smooth we have people who think its a automatic. Takes a little to get use to the change on how to drive it but once you get it its very easy.

Quick Reply: faceplated t56?