Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding in Reverse in the SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding in Reverse in the SS

Ever since I've had my SS (it's a 6-speed) there's been this small issue where if I put the car in reverse (to reverse out of the garage for example), every so often I'll get a grinding noise after releasing the clutch to the friction zone. You can hear the gears grinding in the gearbox (it's not too loud though), and the car will not start to roll. Once I put the shifter back into neutral, then shift right back to reverse, I'll have no problems.

What is the reason behind this?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

is it the trans or clutch chatter? what clutch do you have?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

or possibly a bad synchro
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

when the shift fork pushes against the syncro there can be a bind when trying to engage the selected gear. try going fifth to reverse or fourth to reverse and see if that helps. also whe was the last time the trans was serviced.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
Ever since I've had my SS (it's a 6-speed) there's been this small issue where if I put the car in reverse (to reverse out of the garage for example), every so often I'll get a grinding noise after releasing the clutch to the friction zone. You can hear the gears grinding in the gearbox (it's not too loud though), and the car will not start to roll. Once I put the shifter back into neutral, then shift right back to reverse, I'll have no problems.

What is the reason behind this?
I hate to tell you this but that is normal for ALL T56's. All 6 gears have friction material on the blocking rings but on reverse, it uses bronze blocking ring that really doesn't have any friction material to slow down the reverse gear enough. Try going into 5th before shifting into reverse, that should slow down the moving parts inside enough to not grind.

Just so you know, I replace about 98% of the reverse gears (the little engagement gears are rounded off) on the rebuild I come across.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS123
I hate to tell you this but that is normal for ALL T56's. All 6 gears have friction material on the blocking rings but on reverse, it uses bronze blocking ring that really doesn't have any friction material to slow down the reverse gear enough. Try going into 5th before shifting into reverse, that should slow down the moving parts inside enough to not grind.

Just so you know, I replace about 98% of the reverse gears (the little engagement gears are rounded off) on the rebuild I come across.
Thanks!

I actually don't mind it too much, and am glad it's not specifically my car that needs service.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

mine does that too man. i just hold it in reverse while i let out the clutch and it clicks in. or you can go to 5th first thats prob the better thing..

Quick Reply: Grinding in Reverse in the SS