Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Recent 4l60e to t56 conversion, problems with clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recent 4l60e to t56 conversion, problems with clutch

DON'T SHOOT, i'm sure this is repost, and i searched, but couldn't find anything THIS specific.

We just finished up a t56 conversion last weekend. We put all new hydraulics in and the clutch pedal is not springing back the way it should, and only has tiny range of pressure on it.

I have to start it in gear, which is a nightmare, and even then it's anyone's guess as to if it will actually stay in gear. today at work i was backing out of a parking space and when i pushed in the clutch, it kept moving back. it's also extremly hard to get into gear once moving, but it's still possible.

Last night we bled the clutch fluid about 10 times, that didn't really help at all. Drill mod done etc.

We used a ls7 clutch, and new stock hydraulics. the transmission was rebuilt right before, and besides this functions excellently. not that it makes any difference, but the engine is a ls1 with a massive cam so i do have to let it warm up a while before i can put it in gear and go, and by the time it's warm, its not letting me go into gear.

AGAIN sorry for the repost, i couldnt really find anyone posting about having this problem with new hydraulics etc and i went about 10 pages deep into the stickied t56 conversion thread.

p.s. i know ls1s, but i don't know a damn thing about t-56s or manual transmissions in general, so sorry if i sound all kinds of dumb.

Last edited by paper doll; 04-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Obviously the clutch is not disengaging. What flywheel did you use? Did you move any of the adjustment springs on the pressure plate before it was assembled?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Obviously the clutch is not disengaging. What flywheel did you use? Did you move any of the adjustment springs on the pressure plate before it was assembled?
I got the flywheel with the clutch as a ls7 clutch kit. none of the adjustment springs were moved, should they have been?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was told (read) that the springs had to be fully compressed on their sliders before it was installed. The PP on the LS7 clutch is a self adjusting thing. Doing this backs the adjustment off for install, then will set it at the right spot once bolt up and engaged/disengaged. Id recommend to do a search on here about that topic and read through what you find then see if it sounds like its related to your issue.

Having all new hydraulics, I'd rule them out as the issue. The only other thing I can think of that has anything to do with the clutch release is having the proper flywheel which it sounds like you do if it was an LS7 kit for an FBody. That leaves the pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Recent 4l60e to t56 conversion, problems with clutch