Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of this?

I have a T-56 in a 02 SS. The trans itself is OEM and never been touched other than a shift **** and a clutch replacement. I bought this car used several years ago with 64k on it. It now has 85k and from day 1 3rd gear has had a loud whine to it. I have had several shops say never heard of it being 3rd but typically its 5th or 6th that will whine. I really am not concerned about the noise as it seems to have no effect on driveablity. The noise does get louder as the rpms climb then at some point I quit hearing probably because of my exhaust. I'm really just asking this because I am wondering if anyones t-56's does this. I personally have never seen of or heard of this in ANY of the t-56's I have driven or rode in. Is mine the only one.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

In my old LT1 car it would wine in 2nd or 3rd but it was just a little whine no effect on it functioning. My best guess would be a worn seal or gear that is causing the noice. Have you tried changing the fluid? If you didnt it might not be a bad idea to check for metal fragments in the trans oil. But more then likely its nothing to worry about, I would guess most of the guys on here have exhaust so loud they cant hear a whine in the gears
Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I had the fluid changed when I did a clutch master/slave cylinder replacement. I had it done at a reputable trans shop in my area and I mentioned the whine and he said that he will look at it. He looked and said he saw nothing wrong/worn that would cause any concern. Like I said I'm not worried at all about it just wanted to know if anyone else's car did this.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got similar problem, whines in all gear except 4th soon I give it throttle.
I topped off tranny fluid today with 3.5quarts..so it was extremely low. The noise however is still there...should I worry?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

Usually gear whine that sounds similiar to a super charger whine is a result of the input shaft and the head gear on the cluster gear having excessive wear on them or had been ran low on fluid once upon a time. In either case, adding fluid, changing fluid or anything short of replacing those gears is not going to fix it. Sometimes a unit can last years with a whine, sometimes it won't make it around the block. The more torque the unit sees, the quicker it will **** the bed on you.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
Usually gear whine that sounds similiar to a super charger whine is a result of the input shaft and the head gear on the cluster gear having excessive wear on them or had been ran low on fluid once upon a time. In either case, adding fluid, changing fluid or anything short of replacing those gears is not going to fix it. Sometimes a unit can last years with a whine, sometimes it won't make it around the block. The more torque the unit sees, the quicker it will **** the bed on you.
I guess running over 600ft lbs of torque isn't going to help.
I assume I can get a rebuild...
anyone know about how much this is going to cost..I'll pull the tranny and drop it to a reputable shop.