Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synchronizers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Synchronizers?

In my 97 z/28, it's starting to make a weird noise going from 1st to 2nd. Mechanic father said it's probably the synchros... my question is can I just replace the 1->2 synchros? Or should I replace all, or anything else for that matter?

Car is driven a good bit, and sees the track as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

It is odd that it's making a noise, but it is possible. So to answer your question, I would recommend going through the entire tranny. Of course it would have to be completely disassembled to get to the 1-2 synchro assembly anyway. It is very common for the T56 to have unexpected problems in the works, but no symptoms. It can take a year or longer for a problem to show its face. So in order to do the job right, its best to bite the bullet and freshen the tranny up completely. The Stage 2 build includes all new wear parts, plus the billet 3-4 keys and steel 3-4 shift fork for $680 total. Let me know if I can help or if you have any more questions! Thanks!

-Jason
Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Plan on the 1-2 synchro, probably 2nd gear and a general refresh kit (synchro blocker rings, keys, key springs)

When you open it up, you may find 3-4, 5-6 or R to also need parts. That's why I tend not to order parts until it's apart.

Could you just do 1-2? Yes. But while you're in there, you might as well make it like new.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

I would love to do the entire tranny, just strapped on cash right now. I also saw the thread about not being able to downshift to 5th from 6th which mine has always done since I swapped it in. Here's a video of the sound. It does it unless I shift really slow, or go to neutral before 2nd. Click for the video.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:54 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 30thanniversaryz
I would love to do the entire tranny, just strapped on cash right now. I also saw the thread about not being able to downshift to 5th from 6th which mine has always done since I swapped it in.
I would just hold off until you can save the money to do it right. It will save you money and time in the long run. Just take it easy on the tranny until then.