Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tick master cylinder ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tick master cylinder ?

I jsut got my whole trans setup in and am setting up my master cylinder length. I don't want to sound like a noob but i am confused with their directions. They want the shortest distance the trans shifts into 1st easily. Well I did that and I get it to where it goes in easily but then the the tires spin for a second or two then stop. is that where i should stop? they said it the pedal wont be the same height as stock and I am not I am like 3/4" closer to the floor? anyone set one of these up before?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one but have not installed it yet.... From my understanding its take the adjustable rod and shorten it all the way, then push the pedal down and try to put it in first gear. Keep adjusting out untill its a smooth transition. You must be careful to not adjust out to far as you can damage the master cyl.

Also its normal to put a car in gear with the rear in the air and the tires to rotate a little bit but will stop or not bog the engine with brake engagement.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is adjusted to a lil below the brake pedal
05 gto
Old 05-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i went back out there and figured it out. not to bad. I also make the rod as short as possible in the beginning but that is not how to do it. If you make the rod the shortest length then it will be up against the floor board. Mine is the same man, just lower than the brake.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a couple ways to tell when you've got it adjusted right. If you start very low (pedal close to the floor) then the clutch will be dragging even with the clutch pressed to the floor. This will cause it to be hard to shift gears. You could also verify this by jacking up the rear of the car to get the tires off the ground and push the clutch in (start the car) and see if the tires rotate. This will also tell you if the clutch is dragging. I backed the pedal out and the tires weren't rotating when jacked up but it was still hard to shift so I know it was still dragging a little bit. Took it out another 2 turns and it shifts smooth now. Pedal height is just a little bit below the brake pedal (maybe an inch or so).
Old 05-23-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah basically take what they say, and add a few turns. Otherwise you will be holding the clutch pedal to the floor every time. If i were a drag racer i would definately have it set up so it had the shortest travel possible, but on the street its just not easy to drive like that. You need some more travel to be forgiving.

Quick Reply: tick master cylinder ?