Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 on its way out??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 on its way out??

In neutral with the clutch engaged it sounds like someone has thrown a few medium sized marbles in the tranny case and they are clattering around in there. Tranny itself works fine, goes into all gears effortlessly, no grinding or popping out of gear. Seems like bearings on the input shaft to me but I was hoping someone with some experience could chime in. Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Did the issue just start? Or has it been there a while?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have only had the tranny about 1000 miles and I did notice some excess noise but I initially attributed it to valvetrain noise. I was at the gas station a few days ago and I heard the noise much more clearly under the canopy so I started playing around trying to narrow it down and it only makes the noise with the clutch engaged so that led me to believe it was the tranny or clutch/pressure plate/TOB. We put the car in the air and got under it and it is definately coming from the trans case. I bought the whole swap from a member on here a couple months back. I am finishing up the build now and ironing out some other issues and now that tranny is making some noise