Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Syncromesh/Dexron III/ATF

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
I read it on Bob is the oil guy, and on here. I think it started here and links lead to links that lead to links.

The point of it all was that dexron 3 can be two extremely different fluids from one brand to the next because GM doesn't have anything to do with it.
It can even fall short of the old GM dexron 3.

As for this discussion dexron vi and synchromesh are still regulated by GM and must remain consistant from brand to brand.
I think that's often where the established reputation of a particular manufacturer for consistent quality comes into play. Red Line and Amsoil both do some serious chemistry and testing and have both earned excellent reputations. Some of the others have as well.

Dex VI was not even part of my comments or this particular discussion really, other than maybe to mention that for auto trannys it is suitable under the newer specs/requirements but it definitely is NOT suitable nor recommended for manual trannys such as the T56.

Also bear in mind, automatic transmission fluids being used/specified for use in manual transmissions is a relatively new phenomena. For eons, manual transmissions were designed for use with, and specified, a gear lube meeting various API "GL" ratings, etc. A great many still do. The use of fluids other than "gear lube" is much more common now. Heck, some even specify the use of motor oil (of a certain weight, etc) in their manual trannys. Honda is a good example.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

I've been looking for the information I read since I last posted and I can't find it.

The point is still the same. My T56 has a sticker on the side that says "use dexron III only"
Well today there is no true dexron III. GM does not regulate any manufacturers additive package. If you need Dexron III all you can find is a fluid "for use in vehicles previously serviceable with dexron III"

Or use what GM now recommends in place of what they used to call Dexron III. GM now refers to this product as "manual transmission fluid" - part #88861800

BUT Dexron VI is backwards compatable for use in ALL Dexron III applications. For automatics yes, but NOT for manual transmissions or transfer cases that previously specified Dex III And GM has a very strict about who gets to put their spec number on their bottles. In other words when you buy say super tech dexron vi, it HAS TO have an additive package equal to a bottle of GM brand dexron vi.

When you buy dex/merc, multi vehicle atf, etc. They are simply compatible as in it'll work. The additive package may be totally different than the original GM dexron III. And GM no longer regulates dex 3 so you really don't know what you're getting.

Well, this sucks actually I don't care. I have Autozone multi vehicle in my A4, and some 4 year old ATF of some sort in my M6.

My only point was first, there is more than one kind of synchromesh. and second, there is no strictly regulated formula for dex 3. There is strick regulation for dex 6 and it's to be used in ALL applications previously serviceable with dex 3. Incorrect. See above.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3836.pdf

HTH
Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I found what I was looking for earlier.
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...dexron-vi.html
And yes it says to use 88861800 in place of dex 3.
Yep. That's GM's recommendation (of course ) since it is NOT backwards compatible in Dex III manual trannys.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Incorrect.

The reason why GM used Dexron III was that it was simply a cost issue. Being able to use the SAME fluid for either Automatics or Manual Transmission is a HUGE cost savings vs having to have two different inventories. Plus the Bulk rate discount is gigantic.
Interesting conspiracy theory, but thats totally incorrect. GM's Dexron III ATF is now labeled "Manual Transmission Fluid", and the new auto trans fluid is Dexron VI. Dexron VI is NOT compatible with manual transmissions that specify ATF. So they have to produce and stock "Manual trans fluid", Dexron VI, Advance Trac II, Gear oil, Castrol Burmah fluid, and Synchromesh. Cost savings?? No.

It has nothing really to do with the viscosity or lubration of Dexron, its the lowest costing.
It has NOTHING to do with cost. Borg Warner/Tremec designed the transmission to use ATF. Therefore it comes with ATF. Therefore you should replace the fluid with ATF. Simple.

GM Offers Synchromesh @ Dealerships for a reason, to MAKE money.
No, they offer it because its used as stock fluid in other GM transmissions. Just not the T56.

In the end it is about the fluid you like, whether it be a cost factor, or driveability.
No its not. Borg Warner engineers designed the transmission to work with ATF. That means the bearings, clearances, synchros, and seals are all designed for ATF, not synchromesh.

You will have choices between.

ATF (pick your brand)
Synchromesh
Redline
or whatever you want.
Whatever you want?? Thats horrible advice and a quick way to ruin people's transmissions. BW/Tremec Spec'd ATF, use it. You have nothing to gain by switching fluids, only the possibility of premature wear and transmission damage. End of discussion.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Your back lol.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So anyways, as in my first post, what you will see are cases where people either argue a very fine point or flame about something else. The Fluid I mentioned and use works fine, inexpensive overall and may improve shifting.

IF you feel more comfortiable stick with the most recent version of Dexron, or go out and try something different, which in the end you may end up liking.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

My $02

it is my understanding the internals (paper) based rings in the T56 are not effected by dexron 3 as reports of some 'synthetic" brands do.

while the "lubricateing" abilities of other brands or synthetics may do that better...the chemical properties in some "may" have adverse effect on some internal non metal componets.

I have a D&D T56 for 94-97 i purchased in 2005. run dexron 3 as sticker and D&D advise...

Quick Reply: Syncromesh/Dexron III/ATF