Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this normal driveshaft play?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is this normal driveshaft play?

There is a persistent, low-rpm clunk on shifting unless I baby it. I've had it for a while and really don't like it. It goes away if I'm gassing it, or at least I don't hear it, but my exhuast is not a loud one. The video shows the amount of play in my driveshaft - is this a normal amount of play? Or maybe the source of the clunk? There's a new 383 setup in back with all new parts, but this was around before that change, and I haven't driven it hard since then. Any comments are appreciate. I really want to make it go away.

The U-joint seals are not running rust, and I can't get any relative motion between the slip yoke and tube or pinion flange and tube.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...y.mp4&newest=1

Any thoughts?

Thanks
BobP
Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

By rotating the driveshaft you just showed us that the pinion gear rocks against the drive and coast side of the teeth of the ring gear. Totally normal. However, you should unbolt the rear u-joint at the pinion yoke and see if the pinion has any slop.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the sound of it, I dont think it normal at all. its normal for it to play a little, but not that much to making that much sound.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

That looks normal to me but I'm only saying that because I have more slop than that...i have a lot of clunking noises too. especially when letting off the clutch in reverse
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
By rotating the driveshaft you just showed us that the pinion gear rocks against the drive and coast side of the teeth of the ring gear. Totally normal. However, you should unbolt the rear u-joint at the pinion yoke and see if the pinion has any slop.
Good advice. I'll take a look at that this evening. The guy who installed the rear does GM truck rears for a living, so I'll be surprised if it isn't right, but that should take one variable out of the picture.

BobP
Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Loud02ss
That looks normal to me but I'm only saying that because I have more slop than that...i have a lot of clunking noises too. especially when letting off the clutch in reverse
Yeah, it's making me a bit nuts. I just don't have anything to compare it with.

BobP
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

My old 97 was the same way, and my 01 is the same way. It really bugs me the slop in the driveline/rearend.. If you don't come out of the clutch right, you feel the car rock back and forth. With cam surge, it effin blows. I can only imagine accounting it to an old rear-end with a lot of clearance between the pinion/gear. I'm gonna get my rear-end rebuilt this year. It leaks too much also.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Looks normal to me.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Launching!

I bet you have a torsen differential. Mine does this, I actually probably have more play then that and for me at least, all the play is from the little gears in the torsen diff. No idea if that's normal or not. Id assume there would be a little more play then a reg differential having all those gears, but IDK.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HoLLo
My old 97 was the same way, and my 01 is the same way. It really bugs me the slop in the driveline/rearend.. If you don't come out of the clutch right, you feel the car rock back and forth. With cam surge, it effin blows. I can only imagine accounting it to an old rear-end with a lot of clearance between the pinion/gear. I'm gonna get my rear-end rebuilt this year. It leaks too much also.
I don't have enough experience with different cars, it just seems excessive to me, but maybe not. The rear, BTW, is basically new with a Jaws Gears 3.83 set up, so it isn't from wear. And, like I mentioned above, it's been doing this for quite a while.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by David_viny
I bet you have a torsen differential. Mine does this, I actually probably have more play then that and for me at least, all the play is from the little gears in the torsen diff. No idea if that's normal or not. Id assume there would be a little more play then a reg differential having all those gears, but IDK.
Yep. I have a T2R. Gotta like it for road course .
Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish mine had that amount of slop. I have a T2R also with 4:10's and have almost twice that much movement. Not quite the same thump noise, but it's tough to tell from a video sometimes. It hasn't broke in 2 years since it was built, but is annoying if not careful with the clutch or letting the engine lug around.

Quick Reply: Is this normal driveshaft play?