Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is the Tick the only solution.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is the Tick the only solution.

I have a 98 Z28 with 6 speed manual. It has a centerforce DF clutch, new flywheel, pilot bearing and slave cylinder. All of them only have like 5,000 miles on them since the install. I have read that the Tick Master cylinder is the main part that can help in making you shift faster. I took the Z to the track 2 days ago and couldnt shift it fast. I even used two hands to try to make it shift from 1st to 2nd while going down the track and still wouldnt go in. lol. Again it only does it at high rpms. So i wont waste money, is their other things that can factor in not letting a 6 speed manual shift fast enough ??

Also when im giving my 6 speed manual some good romp, I notice my shifter moving up as if the whole transmission is moving. My 6 speed is equipped with the MGW shifter. Could it be a transmission mount or something ??
Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its probably your tranny mount, I have a polyurethane one in mine. There also is a mcleod adjustable or you can make yours adjustable. Mccleod just came out with a new adjustable master. Read the sticky for the manual tranny section, it tells how to do it. I love my tick master, it made my car fun to drive again, no grinding because of a clutch not realeasing all the way, I can shift as high as I want, no problems.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not the "only" solution, but it's a good solution. The Tick is a beefy unit that'll cure all your high rpm shifting ill's. The other units on the market are a hit/miss.

Your shifter will move some under acceleration as the engine/trans mounts are rubber. They're going to flex under load.

One thing you can try before plunking down the $$ for an expensive master cyl is bleeding your system and putting in some good fluid. Also check your hydraulic line and make sure it's tucked far away from the exhaust so it doesn't get exposed to excessive amounts of heat. Hot and/or crappy fluid will also cause shifting problems.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done the Drill out mod yet?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

If you have the money just buy the Tick master and don't waste your time or money on the drill mod. Read some of the hundreds of reviews on here about the tick master and you will see why you should get it.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Dude just get tha tick & stop try-n to force the shifter in gear or you will be spending money on more than a master!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Using two hands while trying to force the transmission into gear will soon result in broken/damaged fork pads inside the transmission and worn out or broken blocker rings. If it doesn't slip right into gear, don't try and force it or you will soon be doing a tranny rebuild to go along with our master. Its better to let of and let the rpms drop a bit between shifts that hanging on the shifter like a monkey trying to force it into gear when it won't go in anyway...

Our master should drastically improve if not totally fix your issues. Mcleod has a new cylinder on the market, their third version actually. Thier suggested retail is quite a bit more than ours, but I haven't seen it actually priced yet...also, it uses a slightly smaller bore than ours which will basically mean that it has a bit less adjustment capability than ours but with a little less pedal effort as a trade off.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw mcleod, they certainly were not concerned when earlier versions bit the dust. If you going to drive a T-56 hard, look for non other than Tick. They stand behind their product. I know personally.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

We can also provide a modified version of the stock Master that allows for adjustment and it costs $175 retail, which is less than any other option that I have seen available. Let me know if you have any questions about this and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

The Tick is a night and day difference, the shifts are smoother even at low rpm's but the high rpms is where it really shines and shows the goods.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
We can also provide a modified version of the stock Master that allows for adjustment and it costs $175 retail, which is less than any other option that I have seen available. Let me know if you have any questions about this and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Does this modified version actually flow more fluid than one that has had the "drill mod" done to it though?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

+ 1 on the Tick master. Great customer service too!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

It is the same as the stock unit except that it has an adjustable rod that can be threaded in and out for adjustment. The drill-mod affects fluid flow in a different way. You could use this Master with a line that has already been drill-modded.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Using two hands while trying to force the transmission into gear will soon result in broken/damaged fork pads inside the transmission and worn out or broken blocker rings. If it doesn't slip right into gear, don't try and force it or you will soon be doing a tranny rebuild to go along with our master. Its better to let of and let the rpms drop a bit between shifts that hanging on the shifter like a monkey trying to force it into gear when it won't go in anyway...

Our master should drastically improve if not totally fix your issues. Mcleod has a new cylinder on the market, their third version actually. Thier suggested retail is quite a bit more than ours, but I haven't seen it actually priced yet...also, it uses a slightly smaller bore than ours which will basically mean that it has a bit less adjustment capability than ours but with a little less pedal effort as a trade off.

Yeah i know that trying to make the transmission shift with two hands is ridiculous but i was just getting pissed off cause my quarter mile times were so bad due to the tranny not shifting fast enough at high rpm's. I would have like a one second delay on 1st to 2nd and another delay from 2nd to 3rd while going down the track. I was running like 14.8 and 14.9's in the quarter cause it wouldnt shift quick. Ive done high 13's constantly in the past, but damn that slow shifting was making me look stupid out their at the track. I will be sending you a pm tonight so i can order yall's Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder tomorrow early morning and fix this problem.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beleive me, as long as you DID NOT damage the transmission that will fix the issue. Remember to GRAVITY Bleed the C/M and NO Pumping the CLutch Pedal and your fine.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

You made a wise choice on getting the tick master, I have been very satisfied with mine!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

tick is the way to go, even had mine warrantied. they stand behind their product
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remember to GRAVITY Bleed the C/M and NO Pumping the CLutch Pedal and your fine.
What happens if you pump the clutch pedal to bleed it?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

I had the same issue that you had as well and Tick Performance solved my issue. I also went through the tranny at the same time just make sure all was right before i started the race season. It defiantly sucks not shifting the way you expect to!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

+9000003453 for a TICK adjustable MC! Buy it. Install. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Is the Tick the only solution.