Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Master Cylinder Install - U-Bolt Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Master Cylinder Install - U-Bolt Problems

I am having the HARDEST time getting both parts of the U-Bolt to slide completely into the firewall. I am able to get one side (the bottom) a good distance in, but then the other only sticks a few threads into the firewall - it almost seems like the U-Bolt is just a TAD too big for the hole.

If I drill the hole slightly bigger, am I going to cause any problems? I can't see it being a problem as the nuts seem to hold that bolt pretty securely. But I felt like I should get a second opinion before I go drilling the hole bigger.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't get the u-bolt in both holes perfectly straight, it's going to be a PITA. Try bending the u-bolt studs in towards each other slightly, that might help. Elongating the holes is no big deal, I had do it it a little with my M6 swap.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, loosening the four bolts that hold the brake booster on really helped. It lets you move that out of the way just an inch and lets the M/C just have that extra little bit of play. Doing that, my M/c install was about 2 minutes trying to get it lined up. really easy.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
For me, loosening the four bolts that hold the brake booster on really helped. It lets you move that out of the way just an inch and lets the M/C just have that extra little bit of play. Doing that, my M/c install was about 2 minutes trying to get it lined up. really easy.
I tried loosening up those nuts, but they didn't want to budge much. The bolt/stud seems to be pretty trashed and the nuts don't want to come off. But I'll have to take a closer look at them.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan7
If you don't get the u-bolt in both holes perfectly straight, it's going to be a PITA. Try bending the u-bolt studs in towards each other slightly, that might help. Elongating the holes is no big deal, I had do it it a little with my M6 swap.
Thank you, that's good to know it didn't mess with anything. I might do it as my last resort.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I tried loosening up those nuts, but they didn't want to budge much. The bolt/stud seems to be pretty trashed and the nuts don't want to come off. But I'll have to take a closer look at them.
yeah, i know what you mean. that plus the fact that its in a hard place to reach. granted i had the steering column out, but i ended up using a 13mm deep well, u-joint swivel and a 10" extension to get all four out.

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Install - U-Bolt Problems