LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Manual Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/)
-   -   HELP!!! Throw out bearing or pilot bearing maybe? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1343955-help-throw-out-bearing-pilot-bearing-maybe.html)

jasonr1051 10-20-2010 07:42 AM

HELP!!! Throw out bearing or pilot bearing maybe?

What's up guys been a long time since I posted. I took out my t/a to jersey this past week came to a toll booth pushed clutch in put car in neutral but held clutch in. I heard kinda of rattling with a squeaking noise. I let the clutch out and noise stops. After I paid, I push the clutch in tried to put in 1st. It didnt go to 1st or any other gear. After couple minutes I shut the car off, then went into gear no problem. After that I was able to drive it an hour and a half home to connecticut with no problems. Once I was movin I didn't use the clutch and at lights I put in neutral with clutch engaged. Currently everytime I push in the clutch and it makes that rattling/squeaking noise. The clutch still feels great not spungy or nothin.
Beginning of last year I bought and had installed a rebiult t56 tranny. I had put in new clutch master w/ drill mod. New slave all parts from gm. New centerforce clutch(luv it!) new fluid, new flywheel.
I read a bunch of forums and Im thinking pilot bearing and/or throw out bearing but I desperately need advice!!!

BlackScreaminMachine 10-20-2010 08:09 AM

The pilot bearing, if it went bad should be making noise all the time, sounds like a engagement/disengagement issue. If I read this correctly.

jasonr1051 10-20-2010 09:13 AM

So ure thinking throw out bearing?

kevinek 10-20-2010 09:18 AM

From my experience with throw out bearings the noise stops when you press in the clutch. Opposite from what you said it was doing. I could be wrong.

jasonr1051 10-20-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by kevinek (Post 14014468)
From my experience with throw out bearings the noise stops when you press in the clutch. Opposite from what you said it was doing. I could be wrong.

That's not good I was bankin on it being the throw out bearing. Any ideas then?

Greekey 10-20-2010 09:33 AM

Either way the transmission needs pulled. You can verify whats going on with both the throwout and pilot.

kevinek 10-20-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by jasonr1051 (Post 14014488)
That's not good I was bankin on it being the throw out bearing. Any ideas then?

It could be the throw out bearing. Im just saying Ive had a few go out and they always stopped making noise when I pushed in the clutch. And the way a pilot bearing works it seems it would always make noise no matter where the clutch is. Maybe somebody else that knows more about it will chime in. Either way you got to pull the tranny.

wrd1972 10-20-2010 02:54 PM

My pilot bushing recently went out and it made whirring whirring noises between shift or any time the clutch was being used. Also felt like something was spinning off balanced when the clutch was being used. It was the tip of the tranny and the clutch disk getting stupid as a result of not being properly captured by the pilot bushing.

A busted TOB makes a grinding noise when it fails.

as35thss 10-20-2010 09:30 PM

Sounds like the pilot bearing. If it is, check your input shaft end play. If it moves up and down at all, the trans needs to come apart and shim the input shaft tighter. It will wear out you pilot bearing prematurely.