Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6th gear problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gear problem?

so i instaleed 456 gears in my car and now i have to shift into 6 gear at about 135-140 with the 26" tires not the 28" i use at the track. and for track i set my rev up to 6600 and on the street withthe 26" set at 6200rpm

anyways my question is when i shifted into 6th gear one night at 135-140 it never grabbed. my clutch still chirps 3rd but when i went in to 6 my rpm like reved up super high and i had no 6th gear almost when i shifted i poped the clutch cause i was racing myself but does this make any sense or sound weird at all there really no other way i can discribe it....
Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in 6th gear you are putting more stress on your clutch than any other gear. When your clutch starts to fail the first place it is going to slip is in 6th gear. When going down the highway in 6th gear cruising at 1800-2000rpm where ever your cruise RPM is croud the throttle to WOT and see if it slips then. It could have been telling you that you didn't need to be going that fast
Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BFarrier
anyways my question is when i shifted into 6th gear one night at 135-140 it never grabbed. my clutch still chirps 3rd but when i went in to 6 my rpm like reved up super high and i had no 6th gear almost when i shifted i poped the clutch cause i was racing myself but does this make any sense or sound weird at all there really no other way i can discribe it....
Did 6th gear return on the street, or do you not have 6th gear (and 5th?) still?

If it only did it at the track, then it's the clutch like Jeremy mentioned. If you lost 5th and 6th full time, then you probably sheared the 5-6 cluster gear splines on the mainshaft. (5th and 6th are REALLY not made for any sort of WOT/power)
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Did 6th gear return on the street, or do you not have 6th gear (and 5th?) still?

If it only did it at the track, then it's the clutch like Jeremy mentioned. If you lost 5th and 6th full time, then you probably sheared the 5-6 cluster gear splines on the mainshaft. (5th and 6th are REALLY not made for any sort of WOT/power)
That is a very good point. If people really knew how small the bottle gear was in the T56 they wouldn't want to do any WOT pulls in 5th or 6th at all. And if the seen how little of it was splined onto the main shaft they would downshift to 4th to pass on the interstate too lol.

We have a customer who likes to run at ridiculous speeds for hundreds of miles across the wide open western states and he has stripped the splines off of 3 or 4 main shafts till he finally revealed what exactly he was doing with the car. He ended up making a bunch more power so we upgraded him to a TR6060 and he LOVES it.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i still haev 5th and 6th and i think it may have just been a slipping clutch when i shifted cause last night left it in 6th gear and aroung 890 and wot without a shift and did 160 with the gears and tires..... but i do want to upgrade the transmission soon

Quick Reply: 6th gear problem?