Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 and T5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 and T5?

I'm in the process of collecting parts for a 240Z LS1 swap. I was considering the T56 but thought that it would be worth checking into a T5...

The T5 can be upgraded to put up with the torque, fits better in the tranny tunnel of my donor car, is ~100 pounds lighter. The cost to upgrade a T5 vs buying a T56 is comparable...

During the process of having the T5 "beefed up" you can select any gears you want, that's yet another benefit...

Will a stock GM style T5 bell housing bolt up to a LS1? Any issues?

Will there be any issues with the ECM? (Speed sensing stuff Ect)

Thanks!
Ken
Old 02-18-2004, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

trust me, dont do the T5. if you tear them both apart and compare them together you will see why. no matter what, you will never get a T5 to hold as much power as the T56 will. if you are still wanting to do a T5 then the ford version is a little bit stronger but will be a bitch to put be hind a LS1
Old 02-20-2004, 12:50 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You've made a couple good points for wanting the T5, Ken.

The problems are these: The Lakewood scatter shield for the LS1 which fits the Gen III has only a "straight up" bolt pattern as far as I know. Look at the 15015(I think) Lakewood to see one with the dual pattern (straight up and tilted) patterns. The F-body V8 T5 is tilted to the drivers side about 17 degrees. You could bolt it up, and then you'd be figuring out the transmission mount & altering a shifter (I like the Hurst Comp Plus for the T5.)

A T5 bellhousing bolts up to a Gen III as the bolt pattern is the same. But, the input shaft is shorter, and I don't know that an extended pilot bushing will do the trick there. And, at that point you are then left to figure out how to mate a compatible clutch together, although this may not be too bad since the GM V8 T5 has the same spline / input dia. as the Gen III T56 input.

You won't be saving 100 lbs. directly comparing a T5 to a T56. More like 40-50.

You should be able to add a reluctor ring from an f-body T56 to a T5 since the outputs are the same spline / size, but you'd have to mount the VSS pickup properly in orientation to the ring.

And yeah, I 100% agree with the above post; the T56 is quite a bit better design. When you get done upgrading to the whatstheirname bulletproof T5 parts, and go through all this crap, you'll be better off having just gone with the T56. I don't see where the T5 + upgrades is cheaper all things considered.

The McLeod bellhousing setup they've recently released may be helpful with this, but I'd still go T56.

Quick Reply: LS1 and T5?