Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Problems

I have 96 WS6 M6 that I recently replaced the clutch in. I didn't have any problems until I swapped clutches. The new one is a Spec Stage 2+. From day one it chattered like crazy so I surpassed the 500 mile break-in period by 500 miles, and finally sent it back to Spec with over 1000 miles on it. They said that I bent the clutch disk on install. I bought a new disk and re-installed. I replaced everything, the pilot bushing, thrust bearing, pressure plate and disk. While I was waiting on the 2nd new clutch to arrive, I had the trans rebuilt and a tick level two kit installed because I thought that my synchros were bad. The trans would grind occasionally going into third, and then started grinding horribly when coasting, clutch pedal depressed and in gear. The Grinding stopped when I threw it into neutrual. Now, with this new clutch and new trans, when in neutral reving it to 4K, a very loud metalic grinding sound and vibrations occur, primarily in the shifter. The sound does not occur when the clutch pedal is not depressed, only when it is depressed. The car is not creeping or anything when I rev it in gear, so I believe that the clutch is disengaging properly. The tricky thing is that when the grinding is heard, my speedo jumps to 15mph, but I am in neutral and sitting still in my garage. Any ideas? Please help! Are my drive gears not completely separating from my driven gears, causing this grinding? Could it simply be a shifter adjustment issue? I don't believe there is a whole lot of adjustment on my Hurst Billet Plus.

Last edited by adamp; 01-24-2011 at 12:00 PM.