Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T5 Tranny Problems. Need Help!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 Tranny Problems. Need Help!!!

I have a 1994 Camaro 3.4 with a 5-speed. Ever since I bought the car, it's grinded while putting it into reverse. I know that is a very common issue with these cars. To avoid it I always shift into 4th before reverse. Recently my car has been popping itself out of reverse once I get it moving. It is worse if I have the car on a load, like going up hill. If I try to hold it in gear, it pops really loudly continuously. Also sometimes when I downshift to 2nd gear when taking a corner or whatever, it will pop out of 2nd gear. I can hold it in 2nd gear when letting out the clutch and it grinds slightly when I let the clutch out because it's trying to come out of gear.
So what can cause all of this? Shift linkage? Shift fork? Is this something I can fix myself? if not, what should I expect to pay to have it fixed?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Reverse is not synchronized in the T5. (It is in the T56.)

Your 2nd gear issue could be beat-up gear/synchro slider teeth (which mesh together and sometimes clash together on a mis-shift) which could be the effect, rather than the cause.

Except for setting bearing preload being required on a T5 build (some T56s can be put back together without bearing replacement,) they're about as much work to build. Not bad.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

So does my tranny need a rebuild? All of my other gears are fine. It just tries to pop out of reverse every single time I'm in reverse. And it pops out of 2nd on 80% of downshifts... That's what made me think it was a shift rod/linkage being bent because it's the two outer back gears that are acting up and popping out.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Launching!

id say it wouldnt hurt to go through it. i dont have any experience with the t5, but as earlier mentioned it sounds like the slider teeth might be a f-bombed. they were on my t56, and i used a dremmel to de-bur them and true them back up (parts aint cheap for t56). it wasnt hard. i had problems with 3rd popping out and not wanting to come out of 4th at all. turns out my 4th gear was literally in peices. so if you have the time and knowhow and tools, id go through it. **** like you mentioned frustrates me lol
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes.

T5s have basically similar shift rail / fork / pad issues to the T56. Pads can crack. Forks can break. But those are then the cause and the effect is the popping out of gear, which becomes damage that must be replaced with new parts.

I have a reverse idler gear for T5 I've had sitting for a while if you do it yourself. Yours is probably chewed.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Launching!

oh and as far as price, it wont be cheap either way. on my t56, junk yards and auto stores wanted between 1400 and 2500. i rebuilt it myself for around 1000. yours should be way less bc i used upgraded parts, and had to replace 4th/input shaft, 3/4 synchro ***., 3/4 shift fork, and the countershaft due to the grenade part i mentioned. if your gonna go through the trouble id definatly check out everything while you have it tore down. as far as doing it yourself, its hard to say if you can or not. that all depends on your access to certain tools. the only thing i had to buy was a snap ring remover, and an inch lbs trq wrench. i have a big shop though too, so again it depends on your tools and if your willing to take on the challenge. the t56 was a breeze (1st trans i ever rebuilt)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

colt: I can get a brand new 5-speed at AutoZone for $1300. The rebuild kit for my tranny costs $189.99. I'm guessing that the 5-speed are way less expensive than the t56. I have access to a shop with 1000s upon 1000s of tools. My grandpa has been a mechanic for 30 years. How long will this little project take me to complete. The Camaro is my daily driver and the only days I don't need it in commission are Saturday and Sunday. I work Monday morning... =/

jmd: How much do you want for that idler gear. I can live with 2nd gear popping out of gear but not reverse. It's bad enough that I can barely get the car to move before it tries to pop out on me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T5 Tranny Problems. Need Help!!!