Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC 3 slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC 3 slipping

Hi guys recently my slave cylinder started leaking and my clutch started slipping also.I figured that the clutch was slipping because of the hydraulic fluid so took it to the shop to have them replace the slave.They asked me to come to take a look at the clutch to see if i wanted to replace it also.The clutch has less than 15 thousand mi on it so i said no.Took a chance.To tell you the truth i had no idea how a pretty good clutch looks like but the guy said it would last a few months if i did not get too much on the gas.I was just going on the mileage of the clutch.I did not have the money for a new clutch anyway.I got the car back and clutch is still slipping.Drove it like that for two weeks and then recently starting grabbing a little bit better.My question is that could it be that it burned off the hydraulic fluid and its going back to normal?Anybody had the same experience with this?Don't want to spend money on a new clutch and labor.Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

Having contaimation on a disc will allow it to slip and this can lead to greater wear. Of coursem without knowing the starting thickness of the part there would be no real way for the shop to measure wear. Have them Mic the disc thickness (pinching the total disc thickness of both pucks between a caliper) so I can help you judge the amount of wear present. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks i figured that after i got the car back,i just didn't think of it at the time.It looks like its going back to normal.Just very small vibration every now and then when i change gears and get on the gas.Its good for normal driving but you know what kind of driving i want it for.Just will have to drive it some more to see if it goes away completely.

Last edited by fast poncho; 02-23-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar