Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch slipping or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping or something else?

I want to start off by saying, yes i did use the search but after 10 pages i gave up lol.

I got a 96 trans am with an m6 in it. Car has 120+k miles.

1st and 2nd seem fine but when i am in 3rd gear or higher, and the rpms are low when i floor it the engine just revvs up and i accelerate slowly. If im in 5th at 60 and push the gas past 1/2 or maybe even less it just revs up and builds speed slowly. If im going 40ish and floor it in 3rd it seems to be fine, but if im going 20-30 and have it in 3rd it just revs.

From my limited knowledge this seems to me like the clutch is slipping. Is this true? Just want to make sure before i buy a new clutch and spend 500 on labor when it may (hopefully) be something a little more simple.

sorry about being redundant but just wanted to let you know what happens in the gears lol.

If i do need to replace the clutch, whats a good replacement for a car that will never see more than 400ish rwh.

thanks
justin
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah your clutch is smoked.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

easy way to see if the clutch is bad is to sit at a dead stop and put it in first gear and just pop off the clutch. if car creeps away/rolls the clutch is bad.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Teching In

it'll spin the tires forever if i do that lol. First and second dont seem to act up at all. Read some where to pull e-brake and try to take off in 4th. Car does take off even though e-brake is pulled. I don't have the strongest e-brake though lol...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Just a little update

Car was in storage for winter, yesterday was first time out. took car out today and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore even when i try lol. Could it have been something other than the clutch and it just went away some how? Doesn't make sense to me lol.

Quick Reply: clutch slipping or something else?