Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Clunking. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Clunking. Help!!

Car has been sitting all winter, since I picked it up from the body shop getting the bumper repainted. During that time I've installed new rotors/pads, linelock, and rear lca bushings inner only (had to drop the catback to do so). I've done nothing else. Fired the car up today, was headed out of the sub division to season the brakes. When I got up to around 25mph I hear this clunking noise coming from directly below the center console. I don't have the console installed because I'm not done wiring the linelock, so its pretty loud. Sounded like something was wrapped around the driveshaft or something. I drive back to the house keeping it under the speed where it was clunking and put it up on jackstands.

I crawled underneath and looked over everything, no loose bolts, driveshaft donuts look ok, etc. So I start the car and put it in gear and let the wheels turn. No noises until I get it up to around 20mph. Its not rpm dependent, only speed, as I did it in 1-4 gears. So I leave it in 3rd and just let it idle (~16mph) with the wheels spinning and I can still hear the clunking noise intermittently. I crawl underneath and look everything over. Driveshaft is not wobbling or anything like that. Sounds like it is coming from the transmission or bellhousing or the back of the block. Hard to tell because the motor itself is loud from cam/headers, etc. Sometimes it gets to the point where the car shakes when its clunking.

So now I'm stumped. What could be clunking? I didn't have any noise before it sat all winter, the body shop only put like .3 miles on it, and I drove it 10 miles home from there, so I really don't think they fubared anything. Clutch is new as of late last summer, trans fluid is full, topped off when clutch went in. There is an ever so slight seep of trans fluid from the rear seal where the trans opens up, but not even enough to cause a drip on the floor. Same with the rear main seal.

I haven't touched the drivetrain all winter. I have the "normal" driveline slop/clunking when cruising around slow, but this is different and is even happening with no load on drivetrain. Trans goes in and out of gear like always. I did have the ABS fault light come on when up on jackstands, which is either because the front wheels weren't spinning and rears were, or because there is air in the line from hooking up the line lock.

Car runs/idles great, checked on my aeroforce gauges, no knock, no misfires, temps all good, oil pressure good, etc.

Sooooo, any ideas???? .
Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

The shop could have damaged something.. It is hard to say.. Any video clips of the sound?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Check your tranny mount. Had to replace mine this past week, it was severed. Another question, do you have an aftermarket torque arm? Sorry if you have a sig that states that, I am currently using the mobile app. So it doesn't show that.

Quick Reply: T56 Clunking. Help!!