Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you remove the clutch fork???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove the clutch fork???

'95 lt1 m6, I am doing a clutch swap. I have the trans loose just need to get the clutch fork out to finish the job, I search and it seems that no one else is having this issue...maybe I am just being dense but I can not fo rth life of me figure out how to remove the clutch fork.....every were I read it says to just remove it..I pulled and twisted and wiggled and cussed and almost hit it with a hammer..but it is still sitting there mocking me.

I have to be missing something, lol so I took a break and came here to ask for help.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be difficult to get it to disengauge the throwout bearing sometimes. You will need to pull it like you are trying to pull it out of the hole in the side of the bellhousing. Here is a picture to help visualize what you are trying to do. The little metal tabs that the yellow arrows are pointing at slide over the pivot to with the bolt in it. You need to pull the fork out the side of the case to get those tabs to slip back over that pivot and it will release the throwout bearing. Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM

that helped alot, thanks

I knew I was doing something wronge, just was not pulling hard enough...

I actuly called a buddy over to help get it out, I was telling him..."and on the forum..they say just to pull it back" about that time I grabed it and snatched..and it came loose..I had a good laugh and after a day of agravation it was well needed
Old 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol good deal. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Default clutch fork intall issue

i had the same dumb issues getting my transmission out a couple months ago, but now that i went back to install everything i cant seem to get my clutch fork to set flush on the transmission and for the life of me i cant remember what it looked like when i was pulling it out so i went ahead and did some test driving and my pedal is touching the floor before it even disengages and im guessing its all to do with my clutch fork having that play in it i really dont feel like pulling it back off but i dont think i'll have much of a choice i just cant see how its setting good enough
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the clutch fork should just slide onto the TO bearing but sometimes can hang up. What helps is have the tranny about 1/2" away from bell housing giving you more room and slide it on and then push tranny the rest of the way in.

The end of the fork should be pretty much flush with the bell housing face (without slave spacer) and centered (pic)

fork will have some movement to it when installed properly. bent/cracked fork or lose pivot ball will obviously cause problem. assume you inspected both.
Attached Thumbnails How do you remove the clutch fork???-clutch-inst-8-clutch-fork.jpg  

Quick Reply: How do you remove the clutch fork???