Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Something odd happened

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Something odd happened

I was at the base of a large hill at a light. I tried to slip the clutch at about 2k and she half took off and the rpms were staying around 5k?? I shifted second at WOT and she held firm (and then I blew by that pesky 5.0 that reved me into this fun). Then the fresh smell of burnt clutch...argh.

Now, my clutch ovbiously slipped (for the first time). It's OEM and got 20k miles on it. The clutch isn't the original because I had a rear main oil leak on to the clutch around 15k miles and GM replaced it. What I don't get is, why when I shifted 2nd did it grab hard and pull and not slip? Could I have an oil leak again? (I don't see any oil on the ground where ever I might park her).

Ideas?

I've got 50 miles of warranty left before I hit 36k and if there's something wrong I want to fix it. Am I being a little paranoid? Is this normal in any way for these cars??
Old 02-21-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will burn up the clutch quick, if you slip it. The smell might have been from the 1st gear slip and just took a minute to make it up to ya?

Jack the car up and look for oil at the back of the motor. See if oil is leaking out between the tranny and motor.