Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 issues

So my '98 has 151k miles on the body and trans. As far as I know the trans is completely stock. When I did my motor build about 10k miles ago, I replaced my SPEC 3 clutch with a McLeod RST twin-disc. At the same time I replaced the flywheel, slave cylinder and throw out bearing.

Now to the problem. About 1k miles ago, I started having problems with shifting into 3rd while racing. I shift at 7k when racing and when I go to shift into 3rd, I have to let the revs drop to around 4k instead of speed shifting. I figures it was just a synchro issue. But shortly after that, it's hard to shift into 1st or reverse when stopped. Doesn't matter if it's a cold start or been driving for awhile. I've also noticed that the clutch pedal doesn't come up all the way like it used to. It normal stays down about 3/4" from all the way up and at it's worse it's about and 1" from the floor (that's when I can't shift into any gear or out of gear if I'm already driving).

My first thought was to bleed the clutch. I've done that several times with no effect on the problem. I've considered that maybe the bolts backed out on the pressure plate but the people I've talked to about it, don't think that's the problem. So far the only person to suggest anything less than building my trans is my dad, lol and he thinks it's the throw out bearing.

Besides not having the $ sittig around to do a trans build, it's a PITA to stab a T56 with a twin-disc. So I wanna check all possibilities and leaving pulling it all out for last. Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

could be master cylinder on it's way out

Last edited by therealcreeper; 07-11-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

X2 on the master. Mine did this when i sucked it dry once (my remoter bleeder was leaking). I would try the master first. Mine also wasn't a twin. (idk if that matters)
Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Took me a little while to save up the funds but I finally got a new master and installed it. Broke it in tonight by racing an evo on motor. It shifts a lot better. Now I gotta get used to pushing the clutch in. I can't believe how long that rod is on the master! Lol

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: T56 issues