Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch or Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch or Trans?

This morning i get in the car and back out of the garage, but when i put the clutch pedal back down, it doesn't come out of reverse!! I immediately turned the car off. While it's I shift through the gears and all work perfectly. So i put it in first and turn the car back on, it starts going forward immediately and is stuck in first. I shut it off again. After a few tries it worked again enough to get it back in the garage.

I looked at the clutch fluid reservoir and it's full (though dirty). To me it seems like the pressure plate is not disengaging when this happens. The clutch was installed about 15k miles ago.

What do you guys think? I appreciate the help!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of clutch is it? It sounds to me like its not disengaging as well.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd start with flushing the hydraulic fluid and ensuring it's clear and bled. Then if you're not seeing any leaks, I'd consider the master cylinder. Keep us updated!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say master cylinder... go with a Tick Adj. M.C. It might solve your problem... if not, you can always enjoy how much easier shifting is especially over 5,000
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
What kind of clutch is it? It sounds to me like its not disengaging as well.
Clutch is a Spec-2. It and the adjustable master were installed new about 15k miles ago. The slave was reused but at the time was working perfectly.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you are having an issues maintain hydraulic pressure. Assuming that you haven't noticed any evidence of a hydraulic leak under the car or on the fire-wall the first step is flushing and refilling the system. If the fluid is dark/dirty you could be aerating it as a result of heat. Flushing will clean the system out and refilling will replace the old fluid with new.

Make sure that the line that feeds from the master to the slave is routed properly. Additionally, you may want to wrap it in a good heat wrap to help further insulate it from temps. Long-tube headers, which pass in close proximity to the line, can increase temps and lead the fluid to boil. Let me know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Turns out one of the springs in the clutch had jumped out and was causing all this havoc. I've ordered a monster stage 3 kit and will be installing it in the next few weeks