Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hurst shifter

Is there any other way to tell if you have the hurst shifter besides the RPO codes and the plate on the bottom? I would check those but I have no codes on my door and dont have the tools with me right now to take off the center console. I was hoping maybe you can somehow by the vin but idk. I was wondering because I just bought a ws6 short stick and heard they suck with stock shifters.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Is this for your '99? My car was one of the last off the line in '99 and the Hurst shifter was not available. (Not sure if they were low on parts or just hadn't started installing them at that point.) Turns out this was a blessing. I'm much happier with the aftermarket Hurst. Others will recommend other aftermarket units - all are better than either of the stock options.

You might want to just get a new shifter while you are working down there. I have a Hurst Billet with the short stick and its great.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youll most likely just have to pull the boots to look at the shifter body itself to see what you have. Theres not really any other way, because unless youve owned the car since new, theres a chance it may have something else.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Is this for your '99? My car was one of the last off the line in '99 and the Hurst shifter was not available. (Not sure if they were low on parts or just hadn't started installing them at that point.) Turns out this was a blessing. I'm much happier with the aftermarket Hurst. Others will recommend other aftermarket units - all are better than either of the stock options.

You might want to just get a new shifter while you are working down there. I have a Hurst Billet with the short stick and its great.
Ive driven F-bodys with the Stock non Hurst, Stock Hurst, Stock Hurst w/6" WS6store stick, B&M Ripper, Pro 5.0, and Pro 5.0 with Lou's angled stick. I believe the only others I havent used are the Hurst Billet, and the MGW. Out of all of them, the ones I liked the most were the stock Hurst w/6", and the Pro 5.0 w/Lou's stick.

Once you get rid of the stupid rubber bushing on the stock stick the Hurst is actually is a pretty good shifter IMHO. The 6" stick was the perfect length for me, and the shifts were much more solid. The Pro 5.0 is also has a good, solid feel to it, and with the Lou's stick, its angled toward the driver.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the 6 inch from ws6store and it doesnt hit anything so it might be the hurst plus it does feel really good now