Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stinking clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stinking clutch

Clutch works great doesn't slip but when I get aggressive driving it starts to stinks. It permeates throughout the car. Does this mean anything or just the organic material burning off the clutch?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Organic material will smell when it gets hot. That being said, unless you are riding the clutch enough to generate a decent amount of heat (or unless the clutch is slipping as a result of wear) then this would not be expected in normal usage! Do you notice the RPM's raising without the car gaining any MPH?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So organic material will give off a scent under heat, and this is normal? Just wondering becuase mine produces a smell, but I don't know if it's organic material.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Organic will smell if it gets hot enough. Normal daily usage would not typically allow for excessive amounts of heat or scent. This is why I reference usage (riding the pedal) and/or the possibility that it is slipping as a result of wear or even over-powering.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Organic will smell if it gets hot enough. Normal daily usage would not typically allow for excessive amounts of heat or scent. This is why I reference usage (riding the pedal) and/or the possibility that it is slipping as a result of wear or even over-powering.

No not riding the pedal just when I do one or two full launches. I don't hook up much so it just spins the tires. Anyway I can imagine it gets pretty hot. The mileage of the clutch is unknown. I will run it until it fails.

Thanks.