Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunky Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Clunky Shifting

Guys, I bought a Keisler Tremec with the expectation of smooth shifts, & no more missed shifts, as well as its' power handling.
While I have great confidence in its' power capacity, the trans does not shift any more efficiently than the Muncie I had previously. While the throw is shorter than the Muncie, unless you do it just right, the 2/3 shift is an accident waiting to happen.
More recently, Keisler came out with their RS version of this trans. Their claim is 'smooth shifts' (thought I already had this), & 'no more missed shifts'.
Here's my point...last year, I saw an article on the web for Liberty Transmissions, in which I gathered that by simply machining a guide plate, that these shift issues were made a thing of the past.
I realize that there are all kinds of plating, parts upgrades, etc, that can be done to a T5...will machining a guide plate by itself, contribute to accurate shifts?
Previously, I had been hesitant to modify the trans. It is now removed from the car, so if it will be modified, now is the time. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

So you have a T5? Keisler does not make these. There are no mods Keisler does to any Tremec that are an improvement. Kieslers pitch is at the Tremec TKO that does not have a guideplate. They have a linkage that does the same thing. The RS series is actually based on a Borg-Warner/ Tremec design.
The guide plate limits rail travel. Machining it adds travel to the rail. This can only increase the likelyhood of linkage concerns......don't machine the guideplate. If you have shifting concerns, be certain the clutch fully releases and your shifter does not have excessive play.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

There really is no 'play' in the shifting. It's more like a vagueness of where you are in the shift pattern, and where you are going.
If one's intention is to go from 5 to 4 (top right >>down-left-down), it's quite easy to put it in 2, instead. Likewise, shifting from 2>3 can cause the shifter to bog in the middle.
The clutch & hydralics work just fine.
Although I've been driving the Keisler for just over a year, it hasn't been easy to get used to, and I wouldn't recommend one, other than for the power handling.

Last edited by gMAG; 03-06-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

This sounds like wayyy too much play in the shifter. Is it aftermarket? Is it Kiesler?It could be worn or broken.
Check the plastic socket the shifter engages in the trans. It may well not even have one or the worn.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the replies.
The shifter came with the package, and the bushing is correct/brand new.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you may have your answer on this one , unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Nicely put, sir.

Quick Reply: Clunky Shifting